Plumbers overspecifying boilers

Status
Not open for further replies.
The following quote was taken from the range site, the same people who make flowmax

"hour after hour, day after day, month after month... year after year!

Some applications simply require the best the market has to offer. In such a case specify a Range Tribune HE. No home need to be without the outstanding user benefits that come as standard with every Tribune HE cylinder. Fantastic flow rates, assured reliability and extremely low running costs are just some of the benefits. The Tribune HE is extremely flexible in terms of siting and will furnish powerful mains pressure hot water to multiple points around the home.

The Tribune HE is extremely flexible in terms of siting and will furnish powerful mains pressure hot water to multiple points around the home".

Also comes with 25 G/tee, transferable.

Sponsored Links
, that is superior in every way..and..failsafe.

Question: what happens if the f/e on a heatbank are blocked, in the same way the unvented cylinder failsafe was removed? Also what temp is the water in a heatbank during normal operation?

Read my post you blithering idiot, I was not promoting anything. I was pointing out to the OP that there are alternatives available. Nothing in this world is failsafe.
I do not belive the manufacturers spend millions of pounds reaserching and promoting products to satisfy fools.

As you state "heat banks can be direct competitors", but there not are they.

It is clear that you have limited knowledge and experiance within the field of heating and are only capable of quoting what you research and due to your lack of practical hands on abilitiy are unable to advise from an unbiased position.
Stop singing the same song and being so narrow minded.

, that is superior in every way..and..failsafe.

Question: what happens if the f/e on a heatbank are blocked, in the same way the unvented cylinder failsafe was removed?

The controls on an unvented cylinder can all fail. The vent on a heat bank is integrated and cannot be capped. It is 22mm. It also has a cold feed, also integrated and cannot be capped. Two way out if the controls fail. You should be able to figure that out.

Also what temp is the water in a heatbank during normal operation?

70C to 75C. You can have it lower when using a plate heat exchanger. Using a condensing boiler with a 25C delta T the return temp will be 45 to 50C well under condensing dew-point. Condensers work very efficiently.

Sponsored Links
In your opinion it is superior, you are must know something no one else does, or your just a complete p**t.
I'm sure this questions been asked.
Please give an example where an uvented has exploded in the uk.

No. I just have a normal engineering brain.

Round here, the rail engineers use materials that are thick and dense, so yes you may be right

I'm sure that there is a Youtube clip of two moronic Americans who take a heat bank, stuff all the outlets with epoxy after filling it with water, bypass the themostat and plug it in to the mains.... Wouldn't that be clear proof that heat banks are not failsafe... Have a search and see if you can find it... ;)

any cylinder that is sealed becomes a pressure vessel and as such has an explosive potential.
which has been widely recognised for many many years hence :arrow:

http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg261.pdf

this covers many types of vessel ie air receivers.

then we come to steam boilers, which i work with incidently.

http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si1989/Uksi_19892169_en_13.htm
better understood via this
http://www.spiraxsarco.com/resource.../testing-requirements-in-the-boiler-house.asp

they are a different type of pressure vessel

simpley by the nature of what they are containing they become a potential bomb.
why?
because of the the stored potential energy stored as evaporated steam held under pressure.

water with steam held above it in a sealed system may upon the release to atmosphere expand thousands of times its original water volume.

an unvented cylinder is neither of these devices except where it has been deliberately modifided to perform a circus stunt as on circus myth busters.

there are two articles in FAQS which i would urge you to read...

rather than believe some one who perpetually discontributes to this forum with a metaphorical bill board over his shoulders who declares we are all doomed.

we need to get real over this issue, its been around as a threat but been dealt with by regulation.

Drivel, I have asked you this many times, please prove your opinion, show us one factual piece of evidence where a single unvented cylinder has exploded in the UK in the past 20 years, I know that you cannot, as it has not happened.
You say that you have a normal engineering brain and yet you criticise yourself, you have in the past until it was pointed out to you by others recommended the use of the Vitodens 333, the Atmos Multi and the ACV Heatmaster all of which contain unvented cylinders, so your engineering brain failed you here, when you recommended something you claim is dangerous due to the lack of knowledge, something that an engineering brain would give you.

Mr Bob, I can't reply to you as it is a waste of time.

Drivel you can't reply because you cannot prove your opinion, it simply has never happened, you can also not explain, probably due to embarrassment why you recommended units that contain unvented cylinders.

Doctor Drivel's reasonable postings will remain
Others may be deleted.
Mod

Others may be deleted.
Mod

All my posts are spot on, so leave them alone. If you have trouble understanding them get back to me and I will put you right.

The controls on an unvented cylinder can all fail.

Others may be deleted.
Mod

What reasonable postings would that be Mod.

Take the above reasonable quote, There are over 10 safety features between the boiler and the un-vented cylinder.

As an reasonable estimate what would you say the chance of them all failing the same time in millions to one please.

And in any case should the above happen, the real danger would be from the boiler blowing up. On the subject of high pressure, did you know that if all else fails the expansion vessel is an two part can that is designed to separate at 6bar.

Don't give me reasonable MOD unless you're sure of the facts first

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back