Plumbing Courses

Just a quick hijack to the above subject.
I've been in the Oil and Gas Industry for 30+ years all upstraem work and have been doing a NVQ course to get my domestic qualification . My trouble is I work month about and I need to get with a Plumber to get that on site feel when I'm home. Trouble is not many blokes want to take you on even if all I'm asking is petrol money.
Just for the info I live in Surrey., and before you ask I am doing it for when I decide to stay at home and enjoy normal living.

Any advise would be more than welcome

Sponsored Links
why not take a course in autocad and do a HNC in building studies. An architectural technician is an easier and cleaner job and comes with a pension. Why have the ball ache of being on the tools when you can sit in a nice clean office drawing the job.

Most domestic plumbing work is done while contorted into a confined space, the expletive of my elderly tutor comes back to me time and again "it's a young man's game this"

Personally, I find spending days, ripping up floorboards that have been nailed down for ninety years, humping back boilers up twenty flights of stairs, standing on a roof trying to get a 10 metre flue liner down the little chimney `ole without breakin` me feckin` neck, THEN getting blinded by soot, while having me head rammed up the chimney, trying to remove the third seal that some comic has decided to install using cement & slate very exhilirating :D .. Don`t get me started on conversions!!!! :eek: :eek:

Sponsored Links
Well i'm in my 40's and just got a place on a 2 year (one day a week) technical certificate in plumbing at my local college..They had filled the course by 8.35am on the day you could ring in and apparently had 750 people ring up for 35 places...Are we all mugs???

From my own point of view i'm quite looking forward to popping around to peoples houses and replacing electric showers/replacing tap washers/taps etc

If you have worked for large companies as an exec and been made redundant umpteen times and resized/right sized the thought of being in charge of your own destiny when it is apparent 85% of the population can't bang a nail in straight fills me with optimism for my future!..

Go for it jogger
The "technical" stuff you'll read about and take in much quicker than some of the schoolkids. Great place to practice your bending , and to quiz the teachers who will probably be ex plumbers with years of experience.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back