Plumbing in a dishwasher, HELP!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm trying, and failing, to install a tabletop dishwasher.

I know I need a 'washing machine' valve, which I have, but, what now?!
Do I Need to cut the pipe? It seems to be capped.

Any advice is appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Is that a cold water pipe? If it isnt, you'll need to tee off from the other pipe, or use a Y piece. Get brass, not plastic Y as plastic may not hold.

If that pipe is ok to use, then turn the water off. Drain pipework as much as possible. You'll need 2 spanners, one to hold the brass cap, whilst you undo the silver nut with the other. Remove brass cap, remove nut and olive from new tap, and it should go on the open end you now have exposed. Tighten nut back up, DO NOT overtighten, or you'll crush the olive which makes the seal.

What are you intending to do with the waste?

Hugh,

It is the cold, yeah.
The waste pipe drains directly into the sink as the dishwasher is on the draining board. We have a stupidly small kitchen, the dishwasher is to make it easier for me to use (health issues).

Thanks very much for your reply, I sort of had an idea but couldn't for the life of me work it out. Probably because its gone 10pm!

If that blanked off pipe is the cold, your washing machine is piped up wrong. Both should be cold feed only.

Sponsored Links
If that's the cold, then as mcmoby has said, the washing machine wants to be on the cold supply as well. Swap the blanking cap over and put both appliances on a cold feed.

Make sure waste pipe is secured, they can jump about when the pump kicks in to empty the water.

My guess is that the blank is on the hot water and was blanked off when the new washing machine was fitted
Old style washing machines used to have hot and cold fill.

Thanks guys.
Just need to find the water shutoff And I'll be good to go. Presuming its in the utility room in the close, as I'm in a block of flats. The only shut off I can find is a red-handled valve next to the toilet.

No stop valve under your sink I take it? Ask about your neighbours too as they may know where there one is and it may be the same in yours.

@Madrab
Nope, even took the bottom off the cabinet to see if it was behind the kickboards but nothing there. I'll ask the guy upstairs. He's flooded me twice, so he should know where his bloody stop valve is!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back