Plumbing

Taking the night course shows a good attitude.
Kev might not be pc or polite about what he says, he does hit the nail on the head. You only have a basic theoretical knowledge and will need hands on experience. One way could be to start taking on small jobs and build up confidence by getting familiar with the grind.
Once you got that, you could sub for insurance work; crap work, crap money, but better than no work and no money. It will increase your experience.

You will have to develop a thick skin, the quicker the better.
Unfortunately, your timing was bad as we are now it the deepest recession this country has seen in a life time.
If you want a job, but the latest version of a book called: What colour is your parachute, and read it at least 3 times before you start doing what is described.

And last, but certainly not least: keep learning. Read anything and everything the library has to offer that is somehow related to the subject.
Read all the new posts every day, and keep following all the threads to see if you guessed the correct solution to the problem. feel free to participate in the threads, many will be happy to help.
Read manuals of taps, pumps, tools. Collect diagrams, tables and guidance notes and study them.

Sponsored Links
With the OP on no commitment comment 2 days working for nothing what would muggles expect , the guy to actually pay him for the privilage.
Get real the guy has a family to keep and needs to earn money somewhere else.

On that ,being from kings lynn if you worked for family that should run into several thousand people ... ;) :LOL:

Mark, if you lived nearere to me I would take you on, I like the cut of your jib.

I recently posted a thread to take on a trainee, the response on here was appauling, it does make you wonder.

Most of us have had experiences with "apprentices" that were disappointing, and that is putting it mildly. I've said yes to about half a dozen over the past few years, only 2 showed up a couple of times, and neither of them did anything of what I advised them to do.
Then you get liability issues, costs, paperwork, and then IF, against all odds, somebody turns out to be ok, you have created a competitor that is quite likely to start poaching your clients.

This is why the op finds it hard, it's nothing against him.

Sponsored Links
markgriffin63, I like the cut of your jib too. I became a Plumber/Heating Engineer seven years ago when I saw the god awful job the 'Plumber' did on my extension! I knew I could do better, and slowly put his mistakes right (well still have the shower to do).

I would happily give you some time, but living in Gloucestershire I don't quite see it happening. I wish you luck in your quest.

Ive just got to thank some of you for the comments, they give me the get up & go to keep trying.
I want to get away from the comparison with a teenager, If I ever turn up late, or with a hangover, or text on my phone, it ends right there, no questions.
If I have to carry the tools, leaflet drop, wash the van, clean the toilet ready to work on it, fine no problem.
I have had 1 day off work in the last 4 years, because I was almost dead.
I work as a Printer, doing a 3 year NVQ Level 3 in my thirties.

When I find someone, and get by the first few months, they will want to keep me, of that I am certain.

Kings lynn is a bit out the way from me, probably about 2 hours. If you were closer you would be more than welcome to come along with me for the odd day. You never know I might learn something :D

Most of us have had experiences with "apprentices" that were disappointing, and that is putting it mildly. I've said yes to about half a dozen over the past few years, only 2 showed up a couple of times, and neither of them did anything of what I advised them to do.
Then you get liability issues, costs, paperwork, and then IF, against all odds, somebody turns out to be ok, you have created a competitor that is quite likely to start poaching your clients.

This is why the op finds it hard, it's nothing against him.

I totally agree.

My ex Lad was superb, he didn't have a day off in 3 years, had his phone on silent all day, only checked it during the drive home.

I went through a rough patch in September this year, I think I took in £600 compared to £15k in Sep '08 so my lad had to get something else and now he has stuck with it, dissapointing but it happens and I will be £1k better off each month and , as mentioned- no Employers liabilty to pay, no payroll, no holiday pay etc etc.

Mark, if you lived nearere to me I would take you on, I like the cut of your jib.

I recently posted a thread to take on a trainee, the response on here was appauling, it does make you wonder.
. Well said , I would take the guy on too.( if I was working still) an extra pair of hands is very usefull for proper hairy arsed plumbing/ draining like what I used to play around with. ;)

[quote="markgriffin63";p="1371690"
I want to get away from the comparison with a teenager, If I ever turn up late, or with a hangover, or text on my phone, it ends right there, no questions.
[/quote]

if that was responding to me sorry if you thought i was comparing you to the 16year olds.

iv still not had any letters from mature trainers and to be honest given my age that is more than likely who i would rather take on, my dad retired this year so he comes with me when needed but as soon as he gives up completely i think il need a set of older brains to counter act my stupidly immature one.

after the week iv had though the best advice i could give you is play tonights euro millions and never think about plumbing again

Unfortunately, Im looking for installers in South Beds. I have 1 who is top draw, but at the moment 3 would be good. Its not an environment I wish to train competition in Im afraid.

Continue with the training, and get NVQ3 at plumbing. (I enjoyed doing that). So, do simple jobs for yourself or friends and if your brave just make sure you can be bailed out if all goes wrong.

I have 15 years of plumbing knowledge and that is a drop in the ocean when I read comments on here by dudes who's knowledge is vast compared to mine.

Paul.

As said by superplumber,if you feel you can do it -go for it -do your research,get down your local merchants and get yourself heard. Any period of time with timeserved pro is worth its weight in gold-I got a year of it and have not looked back. :)

op... why not try british gas. we do take on older guys as far as i know. the pay is less than the papers advertise , but its a nice place to gain some experience. then its up to you.

op... why not try british gas. we do take on older guys as far as i know. the pay is less than the papers advertise , but its a nice place to gain some experience. then its up to you.

hahaha-024.gif

yup and get lumbered with a flaming prune :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back