Plymouth Rock

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Some are saying it proves sea levels haven’t risen as much as stated. Others says it was moved in 1920 and proves nothing.

Then there’s the Sydney opera house etc.

And they you look at the horrific floods in Italy.

Something is definitely happening to the weather/water.

Sponsored Links
Closer to home, Harlech castle.

5d890fae6c3d9fb182def0ca8e44ba15.jpg

Some are saying it proves sea levels haven’t risen as much as stated. Others says it was moved in 1920 and proves nothing.
This is a good example of 'both siderism'. Presenting both arguments as equal is misleading as it implies they both have equal weight.

The rock has been moved, many times and has been reduced in size by a third since it was fingered as the first landing site. These are well documented facts.

It's a terrible measure for sea height changes and there are much better ones.

This is a good example of 'both siderism'. Presenting both arguments as equal is misleading as it implies they both have equal weight.

The rock has been moved, many times and has been reduced in size by a third since it was fingered as the first landing site. These are well documented facts.

To the best of my knowledge, Harlech Castle hasn't been moved.

Sponsored Links
To the best of my knowledge, Harlech Castle hasn't been moved.
Which is why I didn't quote you for that reply.

I have zero knowledge of Harlech castle or any relevance to Sea level rise. Would you care to provide a link or a summary?

Which is why I didn't quote you for that reply.

I have zero knowledge of Harlech castle or any relevance to Sea level rise. Would you care to provide a link or a summary?

Don't have any links other than old paintings that show the sea lapping up against the walls of the castle, the sea is now about half a mile away with a golf course occupying the land.
Maybe the land was reclaimed, don't know.

With rising sea levels I tend to err on the side of scepticism, purely based on what I've seen with my own eyes over the course of nearly seven decades.

For once I’m after a well rounded debate.

As above I’ve seen with my own eyes no difference as far as I can tell in sea rise. Look at Blackpool beach, Sydney opera house etc.

But then Italy, Croatia, Turkey are all suffering with massive amounts of excess water.

I was so alarmed when I read that the melting ice caps would cause sea levels to rise by a metre, I carried out some tests at home by way of research.
I poured a large whisky, added 6 ice cubes and filled the glass to the rim with soda water. I watched and waited as the ice melted for the glass to overflow.
It didn't.

Don't have any links other than old paintings that show the sea lapping up against the walls of the castle, the sea is now about half a mile away with a golf course occupying the land.
Maybe the land was reclaimed, don't know.

With rising sea levels I tend to err on the side of scepticism, purely based on what I've seen with my own eyes over the course of nearly seven decades.
Historical paintings are worthless for measurement. Artistic license is the norm rather than the exception for this stuff.

I was so alarmed when I read that the melting ice caps would cause sea levels to rise by a metre, I carried out some tests at home by way of research.
I poured a large whisky, added 6 ice cubes and filled the glass to the rim with soda water. I watched and waited as the ice melted for the glass to overflow.
It didn't.
You may not know that the Antarctic and Greenland are both land covered with Ice. That ice is slipping off the land into the sea faster than it is being replaced by new ice.

So try your science again but add the ice after you've filled the glass to the brim.

There has been 21cm of sea level rise over the last 150 years or so. You can't pick that up by eye.

There has been 21cm of sea level rise over the last 150 years or so. You can't pick that up by eye.

Just over 8 inches, I could probably spot that. I could certainly spot the 400 feet sea level rise that's occurred in the last 20,000 years.

As above I’ve seen with my own eyes no difference as far as I can tell in sea rise. Look at Blackpool beach, Sydney opera house etc.

But then Italy, Croatia, Turkey are all suffering with massive amounts of excess water.
Spaghetti muncher here.
Don't be fooled by the media boll@x about Italy floods.
They're not the result of rising sea level, in fact, I can guarantee sea level has been stable for past 70 odd years at least.
I have fished above and below water and the same level is there.
I take reference of certain weird shaped rocks and the water level is the same.
Floods are due to river beds being diverted and new courses not being maintained.
Nothing more.

I think that's largely down to the Jet Stream flowing further south than we've seen for the last few years, bringing drought to Spain, Morrocco and the Mediterranean basin, with hotter weather than average. That's why we've endured a cold, wet spring. As the heat dissipates through the atmosphere the excessive rainfall brings about flooding through those affected regions, like Italy.
The rise in climate temperatures will bring further increases and more erratic weather as the Jet Stream is pushed one way or another by melting sea ice in the Arctic - once the balance has been tipped there's no stopping it.

Just over 8 inches, I could probably spot that. I could certainly spot the 400 feet sea level rise that's occurred in the last 20,000 years.
Are you 150 years old? With tides and weather measuring sea height accurately isn't simple. You need proper instrumentation and records. Your eyes and paintings aren't good enough.

Sponsored Links
Back