Plymouth Rock

Bergs are small, but there's the sea ice joined to land, ice fields, ice caps.

When the sea ice melts, iirc the sea level rise will be 23 feet.
This says that if Antarctica melted, then the rise would be 200 feet.

Greenland Ice sheet has gone past the point where it would re-form if warming stopped. It'll carry on melting now.

Sponsored Links
You mean iceCAPS?
Interesting distinction, as someone in this thread, as someone made the point that an ice cube in a drink melts, but the level doesn't really go up. So that's why I mentioned icebergs.

Sponsored Links
Countries across the Gulf region and the wider Middle East are highly vulnerable to extreme heat borne out of climate change, with poorer populations being particularly at risk in the decades ahead, a new study has warned.

The research, published in the Nature Sustainability journal and released on Monday, looks at how countries are exposed to “unprecedented heat” that it describes as mean annual temperatures of 29 degrees Celsius (84.2 degrees Fahrenheit) or higher.

2.7-1684848668.png

Heat map shows countries with a mean annual temperature of 29C (84.2F) or higher in case of a 2.7C (4.9F) increase in global temperatures by 2070

Last week, the World Meteorological Organization said the next five years will be the warmest period ever recorded as for the first time, global temperatures were now more likely than not to exceed 1.5C (2.7F) of warming until 2027.

read on@Al Jazz

I found this at the bottom of the page in 'similar threads', from June 2005...

I saw an interesting programme on BBC1 last night. They had Bill Oddie (occupation, wild life presenter and Goody) telling us all about the dangers of climate change. They also had Michael Portillo (I think it was him) and he came up with an alternative viewpoint. Instead of spending a trillion (a British billion) dollars delaying the inevitable why not use the money to adapt to the changes. He suggested that we could move whole cities if need be.

He had a point. East Anglia might disappear but the Scottish Highlands will be much nicer. If you look over a longer timescale you soon discover that there's nothing new here. South East England has been on the sea bed before. This planet is about 4,500 million years old. If I was a very long-lived alien who hadn't been here since the dinosaurs disappeared would I say "Oh dear, it's going to be a bit warmer quite soon." or would I look at Antarctica and say "B****y hell! What happened to the forest?"

...and don't see anything new in the climate change denials claims: have they anything original to add to this discussion, i wonder?

I found this at the bottom of the page in 'similar threads', from June 2005...

...and don't see anything new in the climate change denials claims: have they anything original to add to this discussion, i wonder?

I saw an interesting programme on BBC1 last night. They had Bill Oddie (occupation, wild life presenter and Goody) telling us all about the dangers of climate change. They also had Michael Portillo (I think it was him) and he came up with an alternative viewpoint. Instead of spending a trillion (a British billion) dollars delaying the inevitable why not use the money to adapt to the changes. He suggested that we could move whole cities if need be.

He had a point. East Anglia might disappear but the Scottish Highlands will be much nicer. If you look over a longer timescale you soon discover that there's nothing new here. South East England has been on the sea bed before. This planet is about 4,500 million years old. If I was a very long-lived alien who hadn't been here since the dinosaurs disappeared would I say "Oh dear, it's going to be a bit warmer quite soon." or would I look at Antarctica and say "B****y hell! What happened to the forest?"

Instead of spending a trillion (a British billion) dollars delaying the inevitable

I think MP missed the point(s).

We're already spending trillions, through our current ways.
So, he has no issue with one lot of spending, but issues with another.

How many (hundreds of trillions) has the world spent since 2005, and how much of that could have been spent not pushing us to where we are now?

Akin to saying "I'm happy to buy a load of paint to throw all over the drive, but spend money cleaning it up? That's a waste of money!"

Also, if you subscribe to anthropogenic climate change, apart from it not being morally defensible to just ride roughshod over the planet, this is dramatically accelerating the climatic changes.

If jonny claims he can calibrate sea level by eye alone, he must be some kind of man-bot.
I was wondering if footwear made a difference to his software.
I’d have thought a bit of a builder like yourself would appreciate “rack of the eye” ?

Last edited:
Average global sea rise over 70 years is roughly 2". It hasn't changed much, but is accelerating.
More than that. See post #42.

Johnny would be hard put to remember the mean level - there are them things called WAVES....

Countries across the Gulf region and the wider Middle East are highly vulnerable to extreme heat borne out of climate change, with poorer populations being particularly at risk in the decades ahead, a new study has warned.

The research, published in the Nature Sustainability journal and released on Monday, looks at how countries are exposed to “unprecedented heat” that it describes as mean annual temperatures of 29 degrees Celsius (84.2 degrees Fahrenheit) or higher.

2.7-1684848668.png

Heat map shows countries with a mean annual temperature of 29C (84.2F) or higher in case of a 2.7C (4.9F) increase in global temperatures by 2070

Last week, the World Meteorological Organization said the next five years will be the warmest period ever recorded as for the first time, global temperatures were now more likely than not to exceed 1.5C (2.7F) of warming until 2027.

read on@Al Jazz
Also too as well, small sea level rises pollute adjacent aquifers with salt water, so there's drought too.

The next few years are expected to be extra warm partly because we've had a run of La Ninas, and looking at the movement of the Walker cycles in the atmosphere, and the way the oscillation goes, we'll probably get some El Ninos now. Those push up global temperatures a fraction of a degree overall, but it tends to get felt in weather events. The Ozzies will be moaning.

We have never enjoyed a stable climate.

CO2 is plant food.
Yes, yes, it's a tired excuse to avoid the inconvenient truth about global warming; even so, you don't think it's a good idea to have clean air, water and greener energy to improve our environment?

Sponsored Links
Back