Pointless Signs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
On the M40 today the matrix boards were displaying "Fog"; seemed rather ridiculous as the fog was extremely obvious.

Sponsored Links
Can't've been that bad if you could see the sign. :LOL:

Be careful ... Next time it may be thick patchy, lengthy clear areas, M4 M5 'ish stuff ... easy to dismiss the sign while in the clear .. notso easy to stop when greyed out .. oooer!
:D

notb665 said:
Can't've been that bad if you could see the sign. :LOL:

There are two answers to that:

If the fog isn't that bad why display the sign?
If the fog is bad (heavy) then the signs are not needed as the fog is obvious.

As it was, this morning the fog was thick and visibilty of the matrix boards was about 100 yards, so rather obvious that fog was present.

Sponsored Links
two reasons

fog moves

it is warning of what is coming up ahead not what is at the sign, so you prepare and moderate your driving accordingly

oh and they do get it wrong sometimes

I saw a sign that said "Crash ahead"... but instead of following the instruction I finished my journey without incident.

Does that count as driving without due care and attention? :confused:

I was in a shop and they had a small 3-sided sign saying "Wet Floor".

My case comes up next week.....

:LOL: :LOL:

How many times have you been using a urinal with a sign above it saying "Now wash your hands"...

Surely soap and water would be more appropriate?

Fog signs are an instruction for every plank to switch on their fog lights, regardless of the presence of actual fog. Rendering brake lights invisible. Rendering pile ups highly likely. Rendering foggy driving conditions hazardous.

AdamW said:
I saw a sign that said "Crash ahead"... but instead of following the instruction I finished my journey without incident.

Does that count as driving without due care and attention? :confused:

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

its like the note on the botton of packet of peanuts.

warning: this product may contain nuts

surely people arent THAT stupid. or is to cover our backs against ambulance chasers

Travelling down the M18 at night the other day, they were setting up a contraflow, both sides of the road were driving on the hard shoulder. Driving along, all of a sudden i see signs pointing right, like i'm supposed to move right. Obviously this was for the impending contraflow which wasn't yet active, but i could just see some bonzo following them straight thru the millions of cones, as the M18 is unlit and all i could see was that and car in front's tail lights. It made me panic! signs read "replacing worn out road surface" i never noticed it was worn out, and i can think of other stretches of the M18 that need replacing more, namely those made of CONCRETE :eek:

I saw about 3 men working along a 5 mile stretch of the M18, yet they had those incredibly bright generator lights-on-stix in 3 locations, where there WAS NO WORK GOING OFF! :eek: what a waste of diesel.

dabaldie said:
its like the note on the botton of packet of peanuts.

warning: this product may contain nuts

surely people arent THAT stupid. or is to cover our backs against ambulance chasers

Peanuts aren't nuts.

joe

CORN FLAKES.

If you look on the back of the packet you'll find they are made from maize.

joe

Sponsored Links
Back