Pointless Signs

Do you remember the Monty Python sketch?

(something like):

"Ahh. Mr. Raymond Luxury Yacht."

"No, that's not how you pronounce it."

"Oh. Luxury Yatcth"

"No, it's pronounced 'Throatwarbler Mangrove'."

Sponsored Links
Thermo said:
two reasons

fog moves

it is warning of what is coming up ahead not what is at the sign, so you prepare and moderate your driving accordingly

oh and they do get it wrong sometimes

With respsect Mr Thermo, if one is not capable of determining whether or not fog is present one should not be driving a motor vehicle.

You must have some supernatural powers that us mere mortals don't, then, if you can be aware of fog before you get to it.

ban-all-sheds said:
You must have some supernatural powers that us mere mortals don't, then, if you can be aware of fog before you get to it.

No. it is called eyesight.

Sponsored Links
And yours sees round bends, does it?

And over the brows of hills?

You're very lucky, and gifted.

But for the rest of us whose eyes work in a normal way, the signs to warn us that there might be fog around the next bend, or over the brow of the next hill, are very useful.

ban-all-sheds said:
And yours sees round bends, does it?

And over the brows of hills?

You're very lucky, and gifted.

But for the rest of us whose eyes work in a normal way, the signs to warn us that there might be fog around the next bend, or over the brow of the next hill, are very useful.

What strange remarks. What I can (and do) do is look ahead, across bends, up hills and down hills - it's a simple technique. Are you one of those drivers that sit transfixed at the tail lights of the vehicle ahead? What happens if there is fog but the sign isn't working? Is it still fog?

dg123 said:
What strange remarks. What I can (and do) do is look ahead, across bends,
So do I, but I can't see round bends, and if the view across is obscured by buildings/trees/vehicles/higher ground, I can't see what's there by looking across, can I?

up hills and down hills - it's a simple technique
Indeed. Looking up a hill is simple. Looking down a hill is simple.

Please explain how to make looking over the brow of on oncoming hill to see what is down the hill on the other side just as simple.

Are you one of those drivers that sit transfixed at the tail lights of the vehicle ahead?
No.

What happens if there is fog but the sign isn't working? Is it still fog?
Yes.

ban-all-sheds said:
dg123 said:
What strange remarks. What I can (and do) do is look ahead, across bends,
So do I, but I can't see round bends, and if the view across is obscured by buildings/trees/vehicles/higher ground, I can't see what's there by looking across, can I?

up hills and down hills - it's a simple technique
Indeed. Looking up a hill is simple. Looking down a hill is simple.

Please explain how to make looking over the brow of on oncoming hill to see what is down the hill on the other side just as simple.

Are you one of those drivers that sit transfixed at the tail lights of the vehicle ahead?
No.

What happens if there is fog but the sign isn't working? Is it still fog?
Yes.

Why you bother being so pedantic in this matter is beyond me. My original post related to matrix boards on a motorway and that one can see if it is foggy or not. I have yet to encounter a sharp bend on a motorway or any buildings, trees, etc. which preclude observation of the road ahead, however, if I were to encounter any of these I would adjust my driving accordingly. I would apply the same principle to hills.

So are you against all warning signs on motorways, or all warning signs on all roads? It would seem to me that if you can adjust your driving to account for how much, or how little you can see ahead that you'd not find any form of warning sign, anywhere, necessary.

At what speed do you drive on motorways when it's dark?

keyplayer said:
Fog signs are an instruction for every plank to switch on their fog lights, regardless of the presence of actual fog. Rendering brake lights invisible. Rendering pile ups highly likely. Rendering foggy driving conditions hazardous.

Isn't visibility supposed to be less than 25 metre before using fog lights. I have seen people using them in drizzly rain. Numptys.

ban-all-sheds said:
So are you against all warning signs on motorways, or all warning signs on all roads?It would seem to me that if you can adjust your driving to account for how much, or how little you can see ahead that you'd not find any form of warning sign, anywhere, necessary.

Can you not adjust your driving to what you can see or do you need a sign to tell you what to do? Warning signs serve a purpose but they are only an aid not a panacea. If there were no warning signs on the road would you no longer drive? Currently, there are experiments being held around the country whereby many such signs are being removed. The idea is that as drivers will pay more attention to the road, others and the surroundings. I'm not sure what leads you to your extremist questions when I all I have said that it is possible to see whether or not it is foggy.

Whatever speed it is safe to do so.

Quote:

now thats subjective surely
the law says its safe to drive at UPTO 70mph on a motorway
but i say 80mph maybe even 90 if it is clear and little traffic..
you try telling mr pc plod that
:p

Lucie said:
keyplayer said:
Fog signs are an instruction for every plank to switch on their fog lights, regardless of the presence of actual fog. Rendering brake lights invisible. Rendering pile ups highly likely. Rendering foggy driving conditions hazardous.

Isn't visibility supposed to be less than 25 metre before using fog lights. I have seen people using them in drizzly rain. Numptys.

Visibility should be less than 100 metres for fog lights to be used. Using fog lights when not appropriate is an offence - this includes the use of front fog lights.

dabaldie said:
Quote:

now thats subjective surely
the law says its safe to drive at UPTO 70mph on a motorway
but i say 80mph maybe even 90 if it is clear and little traffic..
you try telling mr pc plod that
:p

Mr Plod generally has some leeway and common sense but it helps if you are driving safely. Cameras are a different matter, they do not have any powers of reason.

I do a lot of driving in the dark in winter, and the number of cars that have their front fog lights on absolutely amazes me. Some of them aren't so bright, like ban's (i think it was him that mentioned them a while ago on here) supposed "assisted driving lights" but some of them shine right at you, and this is just dangerous and irresponsible. I suspect many drivers dont know the controls in their car, and just switch all the lights on willy-nilly like numptys. Maybe they dont realise they are blinding everybody either and that the use of those lights is illegal when they can see 20 miles down the road. There should be a publicity campaign to raise awareness as i suspect many drivers dont realise this.

Sponsored Links
Back