Police Programme on BBC1 This Week

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Watched this and was surprised:

(i) a copper stopped a young lad in a Beemer for DD, but he was clear. So the copper went round the car, looking for further faults. Now if that were a more mature driver, and the test were clear, he would have sent him on his way.

(ii) the copper booked him for dodgy tyres he found. One was borderline, the other illegal by a long way. He let him drive home...

Surely if the tyres were so dangerous, the car should have been transported to a garage? What if 2 miles down the frog he had an accident because of the poor tread condition?

(iii) Another coper arresting a bloke who had (note the past tense) a knife.

He was rough in the extreme. Brutal, even, considering the guy no longer had the knife..

Sponsored Links
It's unfortunate these got broadcast. There are policemen who look for points to score because that's the way the country runs now, but there are also reasonable ones. The more reasonable ones aren't seen by the program producers as being likely to increase the number of viewers. (Bit like salacious stories, untainted by mere facts, in the Sun)

i have found if your civil to the bobbies they wont take the pi** BUT if you antagoinise them in any way shape or form then your fair game HUNTING season will be upon you

they get way to much stick so next time you get stopped try being nice i do and it works for me ( actually have had work from them )

when you see some of the cra p they put up with and for not a lot of wages it makes you wonder why they do it ( power trip is it )

cant be a power trip as we are governed by a pc regime now that is a joke

keep up the quest lads as it cant be called work can it :D

secure, i saw that. I think the tactics employed by the 2 cops who got the young beemer driver were good, in that if you were speeding, you weren't done for it, merely warned and then tested for alcohol, a "real" crime as it were. Then again, many drivers who dont speed are DUI. And how many tyre shops are open at midnight? I would have thought he should have the car taken away and made to walk home or something. He looked like a bit of a chav anyway, asking the officer to "cut him some slack" :rolleyes:

I enjoy watching these traffic cop programmes, because it sems to be the only time boy racers have accidents and destroy their clapped-out noisy cars :evil:

The guy that had the knife may have had another or been armed with something else (i didnt see this bit, so i may be innaccurate here) so the police had to cover themselves when dealing with him, and if he was resisting, they would have had to be harsh with him.

Sponsored Links
my god i agree with some of sloggers comments never thought id see the day!

Like all walks of life good and bad in every job. Didnt see the programme but just to address a few points securespark.

1:thers no power to do that with his car unless his car is completely unroadworthy and an authorised vehicle inspector condems it, and one or two tyres wont bring it into that category unless they are really really bad. (i know what you are going to say but thats the law!) When i used to do the job, while one of us was speaking to the driver me or my partner would look around the car, as you never know what you find (bald tyres defective lights handguns on back seat, knuckle dusters bags of drugs etc etc yep all of them and more) regardless of who was driving.

2:- again didnt see it, but if i knew someone had been in possesion f a knife it means they have the propensity to carry one and possibly use it. They could also have another one on them so i wouldnt take a risk. Also he can be arrested for having carried one, as it is an arrestable offence so he can be arrested for a crime committed in the past.

Back