Pond Question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
At the moment, I have a pond pump.

I also want a fountain, and they all seem to come with their own 10m cable.

Question. Whats te best way to tie this in with the current electrical source. Should I split the cable above water with some sort of junction box arrangement, or wire the fountain into the pump, sharing the connections??

I think option 1 would be better.

I could run a seperate power cable, but this would need to be 30meters long, and a new lawn would have to be dug up!

Cheers

Sponsored Links
So you don't want to be able to have the fountain on without the pond pump being on, and vice-versa, and it's OK for the pond pump to be off when you don't want the fountain, etc?

is there not a connection / control box for the oumo already outside?

you cannot connect the 2 together underwater since there is no way to guaruntee that it's waterproof..

likely the cables connections are sealed anyway..

you need to put on a waterproof switch / JB to connect the 2 items into..

it also depends on it's size and the current set up as to whether you can add the additional load to it..

At the moment, there is a a OASE pump at the bottom, purely to keep the water moving, no filter, nothing. From this the powerlead runs about 30meters, into the celler and then into a RCD?(thing that trips with a test button)

What I really want to do is either use the existing powerlead to either power the new fountain (nothing massive BTW) or I might just bin the pump, and buy a 2in1 jobby and just use the powerlead from the pump.

I would really like to keep the pump where it is, and somehow split the cable(perhaps install a junction box just above the waterline so it was submerged) and do it that way)

Sponsored Links
install a junction box just above the waterline so it was submerged)

If it was above it wouldn't be submerged and as pointed out a submerged connection would not guaranttee that it was watertight.

buy a 2 in 1 jobby with a filter and a long lead and stop faffing about.. you'll end up electrocuting the fish at the rate you're going..

Defo get an integrated filter (ecopower range from hozelock are good, and not to pricey)

The electrical connections in pond pumps are SEALED FOR LIFE!!! DO NOT attempt to open them up!!! I believe they are cast sealed in resin, so even if the case cracks, there is no danger, and it would be hard to crack anyway.

Moreover, most pond pumps can supply water to a filter, then on to a cascade or waterfall feature, as well as the supplied fountain they come with. Did your pump come with the pipework to form a fountain?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back