Poolside Electrical Problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Was at my local pool today with the two youngest. As they were getting out, the staff were setting up a pump to inflate a raft.

They plugged in a 110V tranny to a 240V socket in a store room. The tranny and the pump plug were on the poolside, in Volume Zone B (Sorry, I don't have my latest regs at home, this is from the 16th: not sure if this has altered).

Does that comply with regs? Are a standard site tranny & 16A 110V plug and socket correctly rated for Zone B?

Sponsored Links
Portable appliances don't fall under the scope of the IEE regs, the fact that an employee has been given the apparatus to do the job means that they should be doing risk assessments taking the location into consideration, my 50p is on they haven't bothered with a risk assessment.

What odds on the management of the facility being aware of their responsibilities under the EAWR?

Sponsored Links
I doubt they even know what the EAWR are! At a push they might have heard of the HASWA.

You'd think there'd be something in the regs: after all, in a domestic bathroom you cannot have socket within 3m horizontally of bath.

You can't have any 110V items in Z2, unless powered via an isolated tx.

Seems daft to me that you can have a 230/110 SD tx 2 feet from the edge of the pool....

Maybe so, I have seen some frightening stuff. I have seen someone drilling a hole downwards into a swimming pool basin utilising a long drill bit and an extension from outside :eek:
The regs require adequate protection for sockets etc within the location but you can't take into account someone with a long extension reel being stupid.

safetyfirst004f.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back