Possible Asbestos - I'm Petrified :(

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

So I live in a 1920s house which has me and my boyfriend are currently attacking room by room, the room we're working on is the kitchen.

Being bank holiday seemed a good idea to start ripping everything out, until on day two I thought to myself 'I wonder if that's asbestos?' and have been freaking out since

The areas of concern are this weird board that was found under the vinyl and ply and the paint to the walls, which is coming off in big pieces when it was on the chipboard, but is white/powdery on the external wall which is just plastered.

Obviously the only way to be 100% sure is to get a test, but until that happens, your opinions would be greatly appreciated. Obviously, there's little we can do if it is it as we've been disturbing it for 2 days and it would be everywhere in the house.

Thank you in advance

Attachments

• IMG_20160829_114528.jpg
    IMG_20160829_114528.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 527
  • IMG_20160829_114519.jpg
    IMG_20160829_114519.jpg
    287.4 KB · Views: 484
  • IMG_20160829_114513.jpg
    IMG_20160829_114513.jpg
    270.9 KB · Views: 499
  • IMG_20160830_063905.jpg
    IMG_20160830_063905.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 487
  • IMG_20160830_063913.jpg
    IMG_20160830_063913.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 478
Sponsored Links
It looks like a fibreboard to me.....commonly used years ago to provide a warmer feel to walls prior to decorating. Its otherwise been called particle board or pin board at various times - particle board being more related to MDF of late.
John :)

Hi

Thanks for your quick reply, I'm a lot happier now :)

Any ideas on the weird paint finish? The only rooms it's in are my bathroom and kitchen

Thanks again

Sponsored Links
Hi

It's a textured paint finish and I'm worried as it might have asbestos in it. Also, it has a white powdery finish in places.

I guess it could be sandtex or something

Very difficult to determine what it is.....possibly sized with PVA glue or more than likely just emulsion (this stuff is nicely porous.) The second last pic looks like those thick coverall paints that were available some years ago, and used to hide ceiling cracks or whatever.

Hi

Thank you very much.

I'm just so worried and considering it's in my kitchen, there's dust on everything and everywhere!

Very difficult to determine what it is.....possibly sized with PVA glue or more than likely just emulsion (this stuff is nicely porous.) The second last pic looks like those thick coverall paints that were available some years ago, and used to hide ceiling cracks or whatever.
Porta fleck - found some in a late 50's house I had.

You may find it easier to steam that weird paint off?
Screwfix were doing a steamer for £20 last week

I removed a non artex ceiling paint that way and it was far easier

Hello, Me again.

So I can't sleep and my brain has been thinking "remember those old tiles you removed from the old house? Bet they were asbestos"

They were brown tiles, quite hard to chip off. There were solid in their construction (so not fibrous, they felt like solid tiles from what I remember) but they were definitely in the kitchen, cloakroom (which were the rooms we chipped off) and lounge.

I've attached a very poor picture of when the laminate was being laid in my lounge, you can just see the brown tiles in the corner.

I don't know exactly when my old house was built (I've spent a lot of time this evening trying to work it out) but it was registered on the Land Registry in 1991. It was on an estate so assume it could have been post 1985, could have been before.

There is very little I can do as this 10 years ago, but I'm just worried again

Sorry for my constant messages

Attachments

• IMAG0365.jpg
    IMAG0365.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 362
No one in their right mind would say that floor tiles have never contained asbestos - of course they did.
However if those tiles you mention were hard and brittle with no backing maybe then I would think that the chance of an asbestos content was very slim. Indeed, floor tiles would have to be ground to dust to release the asbestos particles (friable asbestos I believe is the phrase) - at least that's what I was told - due to the adhesive content.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back