Possible Asbestos - I'm Petrified :(

Hi John

I don't remember if there was a backing paper if I'm honest. I know that it was screeded so the risk from that point on has been sealed away.

I'm trying not to worry about it as I'll never sleep if I do!

Sponsored Links
Hello, Me again!

Just one more thing - asbestos in artex?

Other than getting it tested, is there anyway to know if it contains asbestos? My ceiling needs replacing in a section so will the board will need cutting out and replaced.

I'm lucky that my ceilings are very high, so this can be boarded, but what happens with the bit that needs replacing?

Thank you

Artex has claimed to be asbestos free for the last 25 years or thereabouts......rather vague, isn't it!
You can't tell by looking at it, but it can be removed by using a wallpaper steamer - getting the artex very wet. It then peels off without too much trouble and should remain dust free.
Why do you need part of the ceiling renewed? Overboarding takes care of all evils if the ceiling is damaged.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Hi John,

The problem is that the bathroom above leaked through the floor on the ceiling and there is a huge crack and the ceiling is bowing in that place, so it probably needs replacing before plastering

Certainly it sounds as if that part of the ceiling has got to come down.
Worry ye not - your plasterer could sort that , reboard and skim over in the blink of an eye.
John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back