Possible eBay bargain for a commercial/industrial guy..

3 boards for every one?? It doesn't seem a lot, saying that I'm more used to heavy industrial with hundreds of that type of board in.
I still think you'd be pressed to get anything better than BS88 fuses owing to the reliability, high breaking capacity and energy let through for the price.

Sponsored Links
3 boards for every one?? It doesn't seem a lot

How can you say that?

If you did a site with 10 DB's, you may need to use 30 instead.

You need to be able to monitor a sites energy usage. you need to split heat/light/power accordingly. This almost goes back to the older days of the excel DB's when you used 60/30/20 rated boards for different types of circuits.

The only reason I mentioned this is that the majority of MCB boards have meter pack kits for the incommer, and MCCB boards have meter packs for the incommer or outgoing ways. The excel boards do not.

You need to be able to monitor a sites energy usage. you need to split heat/light/power accordingly. This almost goes back to the older days of the excel DB's when you used 60/30/20 rated boards for different types of circuits.
I know its only small scale, but I have seen this in retail premises but without metering. A store that was built 5 years ago has a single 24-way 3 phase board. This feeds everything. Compared to...

My store, built Dec 08, has 3 DBs, fed by a big MCCB board. One suplies general power, one supplies lighting, and one supplies refrigeration and AC. There is also a 4-way CU which supplies IT equipment.

I had always wondered why they split the loads like this. Now I know!

3 boards for every one?? It doesn't seem a lot

How can you say that?

If you did a site with 10 DB's, you may need to use 30 instead.
I guess I'm more used to sites with thousands of boards in them and their own substations/power plants.
Still not convinced BS88 boards are "old school" - they are the "Rolls Royce" of fuses as far as we are concerned.

You need to be able to monitor a sites energy usage. you need to split heat/light/power accordingly.
Why not have 3 groups of BS88 boards - one for power, one for lights and one for heating (we use gas for heating so not an electrical problem) and monitor the energy usage going into each group from the distribution board?

Sponsored Links
as mentioned above, i wonder how much he needs to get just to cover the free P&P?

Why not have 3 groups of BS88 boards - one for power, one for lights and one for heating (we use gas for heating so not an electrical problem) and monitor the energy usage going into each group from the distribution board?

You could - But you would need several submains to the same location if you meter it all at the origin. Grouping three DB's with local metering fitted into the DB's means you can bring a single submain over.

I too am used to working on sites with their own sub, or even subs. The majority of which are DNO owned or DNO maintained, but a couple which are completely privately owned. I have worked on many sites with BS88 boards, but my experience of all recent installs and builds is that MCCB and MCB boards are always specced, more often than not with integral metering, merlin being the most popular at the moment.

I thought they kept Lighting Distribution and Power Distribution submains separate for reliability?
We often have more than one sub per factory building, the subs having multiple transformers each again for reliability.
Still not an MCB or MCCB in sight, there's a few ACBs tho.

I am not sure why they used to keep it all seperate years back, but it doesn't seem reliable - you loose a DB and loose your lights.

Which is probably why we have the lights in each area split between 2 boards fed out of different transformers.
It seems more likely to me to lose a board with a heavier load on it tho.

Wow that seller must be well out of pocket. His fault for such a low starting bid on a free P&P auction :p

Bet you it gets 'lost in the post' and refunded.

The seller was apparently hoping for £160.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back