Possible lintel failure

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - I would gratefully value some urgent advice.

Two months ago a large national glazing company replaced a very battered timber door in our house, with a uPVC one. The photo below shows the house as of this morning. Despite the poor quality,
I'm sure my cause for concern is obvious - there was no cracking or sagging in the brickwork before the work was done.

Our original survey when buying the house indicated there was likely to be a timber lintel behind the brick arch, and I presume said national company haven't been stupid enough to remove this. On this basis -

- does this look like lintel failure caused by the previous door frame bearing some weight of the brickwork?
- can it just be propped and repointed and would this be within the scope of a reasonable DIY effort?
- if not, what is likely to be the most robust repair method - does the lintel need to be rebuilt or could helical wall ties be used?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
It's not going to look the same as before just by repairing it. Having said that it won't look exactly the same if rebuilt - but at least it will look straight and sound to a potential buyer. What does the large national glazing company say about it?

Those bricks will have been built off the old timber frame, and the timber lintel will be on the back of the wall only.

It needs a new steel lintel, at least on the front or a replacement for the rear one too.

Helical bars won't help

Thank you - could I reasonably have expected said large company to flag this when taking our money?

Sponsored Links
It's not clear, but the fourth soldier brick from left has dropped about 1cm, and the first course above it has a brick that is dropping away from the mortar bed above

I think the stupid but obvious question keeping me awake the last couple of nights is 'is the house about to fall down'?

Not with a house, no. Acrow props and use the back door, then?

'is the house about to fall down'?

No. It's quite likely the slipped brick will stay like that for the rest of time.
If the arch as a whole was pulled out completely, only a very small triangle of brickwork immediately above the door would come loose.

To visually check if there is indeed any movement movement or not using a strait edge on the lintel, draw a thin line (felt tip, dark pencil) ensuring you get the joints clearly marked. Closely inspect this daily, if lines never move away from each other, you have had some settlement (not unusual) which should relieve your worry. If there is movement then come back and we can help.

Oh! can you check the inside for the presence of a lintel?...pinenot

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back