Post the best photo you took today

More deformed parsnips from my plot. Dunno what I’m doing wrong. First lot of parsnips never took, second lot I planted as seedlings from a tray. These are the last of that crop, the other lot which are my Christmas dinner lot, I put into prepared soil bed but tried something I read about. By all accounts, parsnips are hard to grow/transplant so I grew a batch in good compost, individually in toilet roll tubes and transplanted the tube when big enough without disturbing the plant. We'll see! Mind you, they all taste nice. :mrgreen:
Strange as it sounds but it may be little bugs that live in the soil. I think that's quite a common reason for twisted/stumpy parsnips. Either that or too much debris in the soil :)

Sponsored Links
Yes, on one 'leg' of one of them, it looks like it’s grown around a stone possibly. Needs a good digging and sieving for next year!

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
3F2782E700000578-0-image-m-10_1491925666310.jpg

Sponsored Links

Yes. I agree. But please don't feel free to eat it.

Dork owns a few acres of ancient woodland that are very productive & of much interest to mycologists. An agriculturally worthless plot that was handed down by my grandfather simply because I was his only grandchild who ever took an interest in it. We would wild camp at all times of year & we ate like Kings. My son has largely taken over now but for many years I would rise at dawn & walk the dogs & harvest the mushrooms. In a good year it can earn as much as £30k per acre.

I used to hate those psuedo documentary daytime programmes on the telly box, or the upyourownarsehole articles in lifestyle magazines that promoted foraging for food with a trendy arm held wicker basket. When I used to catch them I would chuck out the poisonous, then advise them the best way to cook the edibles . . . Then tell them that the next time I catch you here . . . . .

Just been on the news that Epping Forest banning foraging, seems it's a growing trend picking your own 'shrooms. I'm not that brave.

I've pulled mushrooms from foragers baskets that can kill the entire family, very painfully, within hours of eating them. That said, I do tend to like anyone who takes an interest in discovering how to live off the land. I like to help them & advise them in any way I can.

When an amateur forages my woodland, they don't damage the woodland per se', all they damage is the ability of the woodland to produce the fungi that earns the £money.

I remember once, shortly after a gobshoites article in a so called 'nature' magazine, a very attractive MILF's basket containing fungi worth at least £2.5k in the restaurants of London's West End. I made her promise me that she would fry them only in butter.

Sponsored Links
Back