Potterton Statesman Utility 130/150

The fault is tHe engineer he's a fit it and hope it fixes it don't pay for anything.
What should have happened is on the service when setting up measure oil pressure and then do a smoke check,if that's ok then get the analyser in and check combustion I'd think 10.5-11% co2 and about 5-5.5%O2 or less start there and see how you go.Bob

Sponsored Links
The fault is tHe engineer he's a fit it and hope it fixes it don't pay for anything.
What should have happened is on the service when setting up measure oil pressure and then do a smoke check,if that's ok then get the analyser in and check combustion I'd think 10.5-11% co2 and about 5-5.5%O2 or less start there and see how you go.Bob
Thanks Bob

Bob, Engineer came yesterday, fitted new nozzle as per the Riello manual Danfoss 1.25 60 S, (removing the Delevan 1.25 60 H fitted by the previous bloke) adjusted pump pressure (which was only slightly low) up to 115psi, the recommended (Baxi) CO2 should have been 12% and was running at 7.2 adjusted the air down from 5.5 to 3 on the scale which brought CO2 up to 11.7. He used the analyser at the test point as recommended rather than the flue outlet. Boiler lit OK this morning, fingers crossed that's it and you were correct all along, too much air. Thanks again.

Bob, Engineer came yesterday, fitted new nozzle as per the Riello manual Danfoss 1.25 60 S, (removing the Delevan 1.25 60 H fitted by the previous bloke) adjusted pump pressure (which was only slightly low) up to 115psi, the recommended (Baxi) CO2 should have been 12% and was running at 7.2 adjusted the air down from 5.5 to 3 on the scale which brought CO2 up to 11.7. He used the analyser at the test point as recommended rather than the flue outlet. Boiler lit OK this morning, fingers crossed that's it and you were correct all along, too much air. Thanks again.

See post 8.:whistle:

I hope you didn't pay the first clown !!

Sponsored Links
I've done some figures and you need 11% co2 as these boilers can soot up and the original figures were slightly off so you may need a little more air to bring the O2 up a bit.Bob

On a 1.25 nozzle, I would not argue with 11.7% CO2. If he did a smoke test at the time it would probably have been 'o - 1' which is the usual on boilers this size. Again, I would not have thought the pattern of the nozzle would have been that critical on this throughput. The hollow pattern possibly would aid ignition at 60o. I would still take the original engineer to task for the indiscriminate parts replacement.

Hi Guys, thanks for all your advice. I now have a boiler which has ignites correctly everytime............however it is now producing significant amounts of smoke and soot which was the initial problem and where we started in the November service. Just a thought, these problems started when we changed fuel suppliers from Gleaner to Highland. It is supposed to be kerosene and had worked fine for 5 years with Gleaner Kero, prior to this delivery in November from Highland,what would be the effect if they had delivered the wrong product, say, gas oil? If the burner was set correctly for kerosene and something else is in the tank. Clutching at straws now.

Last edited:
Kero is clear.....Gas oil is red.
Unless you have had a delivery since eng last visit. It was set up for that fuel. (Or should have been).
In my experience setting one of these at 11.7 % CO2 is "Sailing a bit too close to the wind" .........(They tend to soot up for the hell of it) !!!
I usually set at 10.5 to 11 % with zero smoke..........Fook the claimed efficiency figures !!

Thanks Terry just what I'd worked out but was told by someone it was ok with 11.7%co2 and I did say they tend to soot up IMHO never mind when you're right on here it's like peeing your pants in a swimming pool you get a nice warm feeling but no one notices.Bob ps get engineer to check flue

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back