Potterton Suprema 40L, 6 years old

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My boiler is intermittently locking out. When I press the restart button it lights and carries on for a while, but it needs resetting periodically. Yesterday I had PlumbForceDirect in to diagnose the problem, but they couldn't find anything wrong and told me essentially I have to wait for the boiler to stop working entirely and then call them back. Charged me £81 for that reassurance! Have I been ripped off? Surely if a boiler isn't working properly it ought to be fixable? The boiler has been well cared for and was last checked by British Gas in June 09.

Sponsored Links
the fault with your boiler is a well known problem with the pcb, ask plumbforce direct to send someone that knows about suprimas, and knock £81 off the final bill, should be around the £300-£350 depending on where you live.

Classic pcb fault.

I charge £320 to change this to the new kit supplied.

Sponsored Links
Thanks to everyone for helping to clarify. Firstly, do you mind me asking what a pcb is? And secondly, is it worth installing on a 6-year old boiler? The lovely guys from PlumbForceDirect first told me that they only have an average life of five years. Then, when they were telling me to just run it until it breaks down entirely, they told me they can last a very long time (how long is 'very'?).

Kick plumbforce out and get a proper Engineer in nothing wrong with suprima (With updated Printed Cirucit Board (PCB)) cast iron Heat Exch should get 20 years out of it if regularly serviced and repaired by a company not looking for a fast buck! ;)

I have a suprima at home, 5 years old now, supplied as new build.

Had to change the pcb a month ago. First time it was serviced as well!!

Other than that it has not missed a beat.

Thanks boilerman 2. Now, how does one distinguish between a proper engineer and a company out for a fast buck? It's not that easy for novice homeowners accustomed to a smaller economy and honest tradespeople (I'm Canadian)! The trouble with repairs such as this (if one doesn't already have a network of friends and family with tried, tested and trusted tradespeople), is that one has to do a huge amount of research, become an expert in the field and have a shrewd eye for detecting the cowboy under any glossy surface! I am grateful for forums such as this one! Thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back