Power to Garage and New Consumer Unit - Rough Cost

I'd find another electrician.

If it makes you feel better I've just priced up power to someones garage at £3k. hopefully yours should be a bit less!

Sponsored Links
I agree, you "electrician" is a sausage short of a full barbeque wrt to his knowledge.

He/she should spen more time on this forum learning how to do things properly!

PS Geat result for England today, they should steamroller Wales next year, and win the chamionship, if they play it properly..

This conflicts the advice above so just wondering what peoples thoughts were on this and if it definately is the case you don't need an RCD at the house consumer unit end how is the cable protected if you cut through it or is it a case because SWA is being used it can't be cut through?

Thanks,
Dan

It is definately the case that you do NOT need RCD protection if the cable is SWA.

SWA is difficult to cut through by accident, but not impossible.
As the armour in an SWA cable is earthed and completely surrounds all the circuit conductors, what ever you cut through the cable with will first of all hit the armour, which will earth the spade before it can hit any of the live conductors.

An earthed spade hitting a live conductor will cause a bit of a bang as the circuit goes short circuit, and this will cause the protective device supplying the SWA to operate leaving the cable safe.

Sponsored Links
We have had an electrian round today and he has said that I would need an RCD at the consumer unit end regardless of whether I have consumer unit in the garage which has RCD protection.
You can have a 4th vote in favour of showing him the door.

He is insufficiently knowledgeable to be working as an electrician.

Not only is it difficult to cut through armoured cable by accident, if installed correctly then it's impossible to encounter it without advance warning that it's there, unless you are using a large mechanical digger.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back