powertool battery level indicator----------------lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
am i the only one who thinks they are missing a trick press the button tells you the power levels
why not have one push power level 2x work light 3x area light
now it would cost pence and not use much power you could even use you spare batteries as emergency type lighting laid around or even in a tool

Sponsored Links
The more functions you use the battery for the less power you have for the original intention.

Like modern TV remotes. The old ones had 'on/off', volume up/down, programme up/down, text, subtitles. And that was all we needed.
Modern remotes have so many different buttons, (and combining two of them doubles the options), you have enough power to launch a jet fighter into battle!

They sell you the lights as add-on bare tools. Much more profit that way. So no trick missed.

I've a power bank used to recharge phones/tablets/head-lamps etc.,. that has a super bright led for emergency use. Nearly blinded meself by invoking it accidentally. :ROFLMAO:

you can get a reasonable light for around 3w with a say 18vx4ax60mins gives you 4320w so at3w would use about 1/3 the batteries capacity in an 8hr day

Sponsored Links
I've often thought the same. I have a usb power bank , about the size of a phone, with 2 small leds on it, which are useful though much less than 1W.
@big-all your sums are wrong but you got the right answer ;). You need watt-hours, your 4320 is watt-minutes not watts:
18V x 4Ah is 72 Wh,
So you get 3W for 24h
so as you say , 1/3rd of a battery in 8 hours.

1W would be plenty for many things.

Last edited:
They sell you the lights as add-on bare tools. Much more profit that way. So no trick missed.

I've a power bank used to recharge phones/tablets/head-lamps etc.,. that has a super bright led for emergency use. Nearly blinded meself by invoking it accidentally. :ROFLMAO:
yes i have loads off them to give high levels off light but its the nooks and crannies where a high light output is not needed

I've often thought the same. I have a usb power bank , about the size of a phone, with 2 small leds on it, which are useful though much less than 1W.
i actully think iff you could choose 1/2/3w 2w would be fine for most backgound needs

This one gives numbers - 140 lumens for 36h from a 5Ah 18V battery https://uk.ryobitools.eu/power-tools/lighting/r18t/r18t-1/

If it's integral, it would have to physically small and cheap. That one's obviously too big in that form.
(5 x 18)/36 is 2.5 Watts. So yeah, a bit less would be ok.
i have several off the ryobis but not that one as i am much more into spread off light over brilliance /focussed
the one i linked to above gives out 40 lumins for sub 1w and would be perfect for a basic dull background light

Last edited:
There's a guy on ebay in Australia who 3d prints powertool battery adapters and sticks standard looking worklights on top.

Clever idea, so long as it doesn't wreck your batteries (over-discharge)

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
There's a guy on ebay in Australia who 3d prints powertool battery adapters and sticks standard looking worklights on top.

Clever idea, so long as it doesn't wreck your batteries (over-discharge)
thanks its more the simplicity off pressing a button a few times to make use off leds that do nothing for 95% off there lives

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
ok it seems my thoughts off adding maximum flexibility at minimum costs is indeed mainly me as in "am i the only one who thinks they are missing a trick" thanks for any input much appreciated :D
(y)

Break open your old power packs and laptops, harvest the 18650 cells inside and buy one of these.

probably the brightest light you'll find for the money. It has 3 cree XHP-50 LEDs which are about the best you can get $/per lumen. It's about the size of a can of coke.

"Irradiation distance: 300-500 meters"

Useful.

Sponsored Links
Back