Practicing a Consumer Unit install

Sponsored Links
Look at the good youtube electrician channels, there's half a dozen of them, and you will pick up practical tips. They give a good idea of the better quality CU's, both build quality and the practicality of fitting. There is a fair amount of product placement so be aware of that too.

The target of the videos - if there is one - tends to be the apprentice/college based trainee. Much is necessarily left out so treat them as a learning process rather than a step by step guide. Watching them helps you to think like an electrician e.g. planning cable routes.

I regularly look at these, the best ones are probably from 3/4 years ago now as content changes:

Thomas Nagy, DSS Electrical, Artisan, David Savery.

John Ward's channel is good for understanding the fundamentals of things like testing, and other basics, and probably a good starting point/refresher.

Blup

Sponsored Links
Can I familiarise myself with one of these by using a flex from a socket to mimic the incoming power?
Yes, a few things to be aware of though.

1. unless the installation in your house is very old, there will likely be RCD protection for the sockets in your house CU. If you try to do RCD testing in the normal way then you will likely trip both the RCD in your practice CU and the one in your house CU. You can work around this by putting the earth probe of your RCD tester on the incoming neutral conductor instead of on the earth bar.
2. when working on UK fixed wiring with a TN supply, single pole isolation of individual circuits at the CU/DB is generally regarded as adequate. I would not however recommend relying on single pole isolation for anything fed from a plug and socket.
3. obviously readings like earth fault loop impedance will be much higher.

I have ordered the board from eBay. Looking forward to setting this up:)

I do some times wonder who buys the CU you linked to?

Why only 63A RCD's, and no SPD, a RCBO costs £16.32 each, a MCB £3.86, a RCD £12.25 so with 6 circuits RCBO = extra £50.26 only have to loose one freezer full of food and you have spent well over that.

We are told we should fit a SPD as standard, and only if the client says they don't want one should it be omitted.

I have an old consumer unit and fuse box which I have not yet thrown out, if you live in Mid Wales, not sure why you want to practice wiring one up, can't really see the point.
Ideal for 1 bed flats: ring final, lights, shower, cooker, immersion.

Couple of questions on terminals please.
With this CU, are my red lines pointing to the correct neutral terminals for each of these MCB’s?
I assume that I then wire the CPC in the corresponding number terminal on the CPC bar.
73703A08-8423-4FBE-9469-27D4C8C5AD5E.jpeg

Also, with this configuration of CU, when do the right most neutral terminals ever get used?

Could I move the RCD and MCB’s one over to the left and then slot in a RCBO? This would then wire into the left most neutral terminals? Presumably it will need some adjustment to the bus bar too.

I wasn’t planning to launch into the RCBO in my test rig as I need to do some more research around this. “Clearly” I hear you say!

My initial focus was the current RCD and MCB configuration.

Couple of questions on terminals please.
With this CU, are my red lines pointing to the correct neutral terminals for each of these MCB’s?
Yes.

I assume that I then wire the CPC in the corresponding number terminal on the CPC bar.
Yes.

Also, with this configuration of CU, when do the right most neutral terminals ever get used?
For RCBOs or MCBs not covered by either of the RCCBs.

Could I move the RCD and MCB’s one over to the left and then slot in a RCBO?
Yes.

This would then wire into the left most neutral terminals?
Presumably a typo and you mean RIGHT.

Presumably it will need some adjustment to the bus bar too.
Yes. You will have to configure the busbar to fit whatever and wherever it needs to fit.

I wasn’t planning to launch into the RCBO in my test rig as I need to do some more research around this. “Clearly” I hear you say!

My initial focus was the current RCD and MCB configuration.
Ok.

I know it says RCD on them but they are actually RCCBs (residual current circuit breakers) to distinguish them from RCBOs (residual current circuit breakers with overload protection) which are also RCDs.

... I would not however recommend relying on single pole isolation for anything fed from a plug and socket. ...
As a matter of interest ... is that because you fear that the plug may have been wired with reverse polarity, or for some other reason that has yet to occur to me?

Kind Regards, John

Yes the red lines are correct.
The earths go in order of the mcbs but the numbers can never all match the neutral numbers.
The right neutrals get used if mcbs are fitted that fit between the main switch and the right 1st rcd, they become non rcd protected circuits.
To fit rcbos the busbar must not be fed from the same busbars that exit either of the rcds, they need to be fed from the main switch output, it can get messy, all Rcbos are the way forward really, saves messing with all the Trirated link cables

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back