Pre-pay meter woes :(

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone,

Not really 'DIY' as such but I thought I'd give this a go here and see if anyone has any suggestions...

I own a small property down in west Cornwall which I rent out for holiday lets. Due to a combination of factors (including incompetence on my part :oops: ), my bills were not being forwarded to me and I neglected to pay.

I've just found out that they've been round and fitted a pre-pay meter. While I appreciate why they've done it, it is a completely unsuitable situation. The house has electric heating, hot water cooker etc and who wants to spend their holiday driving 20 miles in and out of Penzance to get meter credit then go and find the dark, dusty, spider infested meter cupboard that's 200yds from the house? Also the house is empty for most of the winter but with the heating on for a couple of hours at night and a dehumidifier going but no-one to feed the meter.

I'm happy to pay the balance immediately and go on direct debit but they are saying they won't remove it for at least a year!

Has anyone had any experiences like this, how can I get them to change the meter back? Have they got me by the short and curlies?

If I change to a different supplier will I be able to change back? Who's call is it, the energy company or the DNO who presumably did the actual fitting?

Thanks,
Magnus.

Sponsored Links
You may find if you change suppliers, you can get the pre-paid meter removed.
But I would ring some of the other suppliers up first to see if they willing to do this, after all they want your custom.
You may also find that your current supplier may have a change of heart once you explain your reasons for switching.

Nope, EDF but I suspect they're all the same. Ringing round other suppliers now and the lady from Ecotricity seemed very helpful. Waiting for a call back from their metering dept.

"...but the recruiting sergeant seemed like such a nice chap...." :)

Sponsored Links
Ultimately it is up to your electricity supplier as to what meter they fit.

If they won't change it, you can always load up the meter with say £300 which ought to last a long time, rather than £10 or whatever.

I thought Penzance was a tourist attraction, where should the tourists stay?

Hmmm, Mr Wealthy Londoner fancies a break in Cornwall, lets go to Penzance, lets rent a little cottage , lets spend lots of money while we are there buying pasties and ice creams whilst boosting the local economy!!

Buy all the ice cream you want but don't eat my bloody pasties! There's never enough of them to go around.

Share and share alike! Cornwall has had alot of my money, some of it were spent on pasties too (sorry)!!

offer to pay the full arrears plus 50% off the estimated annual consumption up front with the other half payed by 12 = instalments this will show commitment

was the bill in your name if so why where you not warned about the payment meter threat or did you have the bills delivered to the property or ignore the warnings???:cool:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back