Preparing an uneven stone hearth for tiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I have knocked out a fireplace (with great help from this group). It will only be decorative. The builders opening will all be boarded and skimmed. I would like to tile the old hearth (removing it is not an option, and neither is keeping it- drill holes).

What would be the best way to level this hearth for tiling? it slopes front to back and there are large gaps between it and the floorboards (which will be left exposed).

I was thinking to screw a concrete board to the hearth, that would sort the gaps but not the slope- not sure If I mind about the slope as its not too steep.

Any advice appreciated!

Cheers
A

Attachments

• IMG_1137.jpg
    IMG_1137.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_1138.jpg
    IMG_1138.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_1139.jpg
    IMG_1139.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_1140.jpg
    IMG_1140.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_1141.jpg
    IMG_1141.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 47
Sponsored Links
Floor lever. Self leveling type as good stuff.
Wire wool and meths to clean first.
Consider vent or will get wet inside chimney from condensation.

Clean it up and tile straight onto it with a decent adhesive. Sort the level out by adjusting the adhesive thickness where needed. Might need a primer too, depending on hearth material/adhesive instructions.

thanks both. how would you sort the edges out? where the hearth joins the floor there is a cm gap.... some kind of beading cover it ? overhang the tiles slightly just to cover the gap (its only 1cm).

any links to a suitable self level would be great as there is a lot of options. I haven't used it before... will it need shuttering to stop running off the sides of the hearth or is it easy to work with and will stay within the hearth boundary relatively easy?
cheers

Sponsored Links
Yes a bead. But you might have more fun and games if the wood floor isn’t level

Yes that’s fine, whatever works for how you want it to look. If it’s having a working fire on it check hearth size requirements

Yes that’s fine, whatever works for how you want it to look. If it’s having a working fire on it check hearth size requirements
thank you very much, can you advise on using self levelling. will I need to shutter the sides as the current hearth level is flush with the floor. or is there another way

Personally I’d just use (bagged) adhesive, and use that to level the tiles as you go, as it’s such a small area.
You could SLC it though by shuttering it so it doesn’t run out. Again, check SLC instructions for primer requirements on the hearth material.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back