Price to convert garage doorway to wall and window

I get the the multi trades issue like you've said, ideally need to find a smaller outfit I guess

Sponsored Links
I get the the multi trades issue like you've said, ideally need to find a smaller outfit I guess
Maybe you should get a ground worker in to price for foundation across the front and brickwork to plate height.
then get a carpenter in to stud out the wall and do the insulation.

If we said it was a weeks work for each of them, if priced at £250 a day, that’s £2,500 Labour cost
a guess at £1000 - £1500 for materials. (I could be way out, maybe pro tradesmen could comment)
so net cost £4000

Im not seeing £6k, I think by looking at it a different way you could get the cost down

having had the plans drawn up, why did you not then have a QS provide the BOM?
There are around 2 million young men in the UK who will work for a few quid a day....satisfy your inner colonialist, capitalist exploitation gene and give the work (slavery) to these chappies.
Its this thinking that put the Great in Britain you know

Sponsored Links
Like i stated earlier, they over priced as they dont want the work...they prob too busy.

There are around 2 million young men in the UK who will work for a few quid a day....
I'd like to know where you can find these young men - except in front of a computer screen?
I'd we could find such then my wife would be happier, I'd be bored and my mate would have a full time work mate.

I'd like to know where you can find these young men - except in front of a computer screen?
I'd we could find such then my wife would be happier, I'd be bored and my mate would have a full time work mate.
modern slavery has made a come back but the irony is that its now a bigger business than it was in the "olden days". Find a car wash,,find the slaves...simples

Are you sure the house foundation is not already there?

Are you sure the house foundation is not already there?
Definitely well worth a dig to find out, shouldn't take more than a couple of hours. If so that will reduce the price, if not then the £6.5k is probably fair.

If not then make absolutely sure that they intend to put a foundation in. Some are doing it by sticking a lintel across then building off that. A steel lintel, buried below the DPC, so will dissolve in no time, plus puts a lot of load onto the existing front corners.

I can't work out the corner detail from your drawing, but it's worth ensuring that pillar on the right is taken right back, make the new-to-old join around the corner. This will remove the last clue it was once a garage. Probably necessary anyway, to get the cavity to make sense.

I can't work out the corner detail from your drawing
The returns are not adequate in their present size and need increasing to satisfy B' reg's. It would be a foolish risk to attempt to remove more masonry than is necessary.

Thanks all. Yes just the garage door removal and brick up. No internal works for the rest of the conversion.
Make sure that you do as much work inside the conversion as you dare, before bricking up that opening. Get all the large stuff carried in and fitted where you can. That includes plumbing (heating) and electrics. They can leave any cables hanging or pipe tails for now, where the opening is concerned.

We have found foundations beneath two garage openings, on modern houses. We rarely find them on older properties.

Last edited:
It looks like the drawing shows the old corner remaining, new cavity behind it.

I'd take it round the corner to avoid that "Converted Garage" look. However good the brick and mortar match, it's worth the extra bit of work to get the front looking like it's not been messed with. Probably just a brick more than toothing in. Obviously check what it's holding up, perhaps an acro or two but it's only ground floor.

-digger for foundation dig
Lol, I have yet to find a machine that I can wedge into a garage door opening and successfully dig. You may be able to pull a bit from the side but it would be messy and risky. There will likely be services, so hand dig for us every time on that little job.

test holes to see what existing foundation is building control will accept drill holes but they usually wont accept 600mm of a foundation that your proposing
Mate done exactly the same and building control wanted at least a metre

test holes to see what existing foundation is building control will accept drill holes but they usually wont accept 600mm of a foundation that your proposing
Mate done exactly the same and building control wanted at least a metre
If the foundations concrete is a continuation of the existing footings, they will accept it. It's fairly common on modern houses for the digger operator to remove the whole trench (easier), where the garage door opening is concerned.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back