Private Parking Invoice £100

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Took a friend to The Range store last week she loved it couldn't get her out looked at everything. We both made purchases and overstayed. I was concerned about it but as there was no invoice on the car thought it was OK so did not save receipt, nor did she, I paid by card so it is on my bank statement.

Was surprised to receive an invoice for £100 in large print at the top of the letter and in the small print says £60 if paid in 2 weeks. The receipt would have the time of purchase which would verify the fact we had not abused the parking.

I have been notified by the company that under paragraph 9(2)(b) of schedule 4 of the protection of freedom act of 2012 the driver is required to pay this parking charge. I have been threatened they will pursue me if I do not give identify the driver or refuse to provide correct address.

They only have an answerphone for automatic payment and of course no attendant on sight.
I know this topic has been covered before but advice!! Please Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Just be patient- and wait for their letter. Then- Reply to it enclosing your c card payment invoice . Also send a copy of your letter to 'The Range'-- and ask them to investigate.
Then- await their response-- and post on here to update .

If you have ordered items from the Range Store, threaten to cancel your order unless they sort it out. Also point out that you have posted your problem on a popular website warning other potential customers.

Alternatively, buy a gun, find the person who issued the ticket and blow his f*****g head off.
:evil:

Sponsored Links
Makes you laugh doesn't it....the protection of freedom act. What's free about not being able to park somewhere for free?

Do Not reply don`t send them anything - don`t write to the Range . It`s a SCAM . Allegedly . Look at the moneysavingexpert website ;)

I've had three of those stupid things. Ignore them and you'll get a few letters threatening the bailiffs, chuck them in the bin. Eventually they will give you a 'FINAL DEMAND'. Ignore it and you'll never hear from them again. :mrgreen:

It's their postage they are wasting. ;)

I got my info of 'Lincsbodger' - and he was spot on. It's time Trading Standards closed these shysters down.

The law changed last year, ignoring them not as straightforward as it used to be.

The law now makes the registered owner liable for the charges even if they weren't the one doing the parking. Thankfully we have the European Court of Human Rights to stop our government passing these sorts of laws and I look forward to somebody taking the government on and having it thrown out.

No that's not right. The only payment that you have to pay is a fine - and only the Police and the Local Authority can issue a fine. Anything else is a 'breach of contract' in regard to a parking contract, and you don't have to pay it.

No that's not right. The only payment that you have to pay is a fine - and only the Police and the Local Authority can issue a fine. Anything else is a 'breach of contract' in regard to a parking contract, and you don't have to pay it.
It might be sensible if you checked your facts before making that assertion!

Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 Schedule 4, which came into force on 1 October 2012.

I'm pretty sure you're right Joe. Wasn't there something on the telly a while back (or did I read it somewhere?) saying that these things are basically a try on, and they have to take you to court to make you pay. Also that there have been very, very few cases of these parking companies actually pursuing anyone to court over these things. Which tends to tell me how I reckon the law looks at these claims.
One point of interest in all this, and slightly OT I know, is what right have the DVLA to give out the registration details to any "parking regulation" company who happens to want it? What happened to the protection of data etc? The police having access is one thing. Anyone else, no.

Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 Schedule 4, which came into force on 1 October 2012.
Looks like I'm wrong then. :oops:
That one slipped in pretty quietly!

That's talking about hospitals and the like that have authority to levy a parking charge - not the local Asda. Under contract law they'd never be able to make it stick.

Sponsored Links
Back