Private parking shake up

Sponsored Links
Do you think people who mistakenly enter the wrong reg should pay £120?

or perhaps those who enter a car park when the shop is closed and are unable to scan their receipt?

I think people should stop trying to buck the system with stupid excuses. If you enter the wrong reg then you failed to obtain a valid ticket.
Do you think people should be chaged more if they are caught in a disabled bay?

Sponsored Links
one in my town been fining people for months till one guy took it upon himself to check certain stuff out and it turned out they had lost the contract months ago and should not have been fining anyone

Yeah, bloody scum. We have them at our local shops, and people are often writing on local FB group about how they've been fined for going to the shops twice in a day. Some people are too scared not to pay the fine, which is crazy - people being fined for using the local shops instead of driving to Tesco.

We need to go back to the good old days of a car park attendant who can issue fines to people who are really taking the ****, and waiver them for those that have a genuine reason to have overstayed by 10 minutes.

I got sent a fine once, from Tesco in town, after being stuck in the car park because the town was gridlocked at Christmas (pre pandemic!). It too an hour to get out of the bloody car park, but they still wanted to fine me.

On another occasion, my wife was fined by McDonalds for staying in their car park for more than 90 minutes, when she attended a McDonalds birthday party for a friend's child. Didn't pay that either, but some people see the thread and do pay.

Bastards.

Surely basic contract law should apply as in you use a service you pay for it at the agreed price ??
Making a mistake with a few digits should not matter as they have suffered no loss ??

Surely basic contract law should apply as in you use a service you pay for it at the agreed price ??
Making a mistake with a few digits should not matter as they have suffered no loss ??

I think it does. But their systems are often broken and they scare and threaten people into paying fines, often when they've followed the rules. Many elderly people just pay up, thinking that they might have actually overstayed accidentally, and not wanted bailiffs at their door, or just getting into trouble etc.

These people basically prey on vulnerable people who pay, because their business model does not really work on the whole, as most people actually use the parking in the agreed terms.

It does. However, you accept the terms when you enter your Reg. They have less ability to enforce the contract if you park and ignore them.

Read the rules, be prepared and park as per rules = NO PROBLEM

Re the mis-typo of one/two digits, your fault, your problem or have you forgotten to proofread what you have typed in - bottom line your fault.
Thanks.

The rules you are supposed to read, understand and consent to while driving past the sign into the car park?

Yeah, right.

Edited for clarity.

Last edited:
The rules you are supposed to read, understand and consent to while driving past the sign into the car park?

Yeah, right.

Edited for clarity.
Not sure if that was aimed at me.

What I'd say is if someone does not have the capacity to read signs whilst they are driving or the capacity to follow common sense IE park
up and walk to the sign, read it, digest it, practice it, then they should not park there or face a fine.

Sponsored Links
Back