Problem with 2 way lighting in kitchen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I have just replaced one of the two old pull cord light switches in our kitchen with a new wall switch. The trouble is, the new switch only works if the remaining pull cord (by the back door to outside so used less) is in what I presume is the on position! I need to also replace this other pull cord some time soon but I hadn't bargained on this complication.
Both pull switches had/have one 3-core cable only connected in them, red, black and grey. The lighting system is not earthed in this house but has all been working fine, with plastic fittings only, I hasten to add.
So all I've done is basically remove this 3-core cable from one of the pull switches and reconnect it to a wall switch (grey-L, brown-L1, black-L2), which works fine (if the other pull switch is in a certain position!).
I don't understand why this has happened as it is surely just a straight swap and it all should function the same...?
Could there be some sort of incompatibility between pull cords and switches? Seems unlikely...
Thanks in advance for any ideas,
Barry

Sponsored Links
Sounds like have put the wires in the wrong terminals.
When you noted down the old connections, before you disconnected the wires, what were they?
You didnt write them down? Oh dear.

How is the other switch wired? A photo would be good.

red black and grey sounds like an odd combination, red/yellow/blue were the old colours, red/white/blue before that, brown/black/grey now. I can't see it being the latest colours if it isn't earthed.

When you noted down the old connections, before you disconnected the wires, what were they?

Thx for your reply.

Hi, lol, I'm not that daft :), I photographed them (attached), but the old pull switches weren't marked clearly. But we can see that the live and neutral are at one end (L1 and L2, i guess) and the grey/white/yellow at the other (L). I have connected the switch in the same way. I have tried connecting the wires to the switch in other combinations but the current way I have it connected is the only one that has the switch working at all so far...

Attachments

• old (1).JPG
    old (1).JPG
    75.4 KB · Views: 108
  • remaining.JPG
    remaining.JPG
    52.9 KB · Views: 105
Sponsored Links
red black and grey sounds like an odd combination, red/yellow/blue were the old colours, red/white/blue before that, brown/black/grey now. I can't see it being the latest colours if it isn't earthed.
Well, it's more of a dirty white, equivalent to yellow, and often grey these days I think... And by black, I meant blue!

OK,

What have you connected where on the wall switch ?

well done on the pics BEFORE disconnection !

DS

OK,

DS
Ta. I have connected the dirty white wire to L on its own at one end, then brown and blue at the other end to L1 and L2 respectively...

That polystyrene is a concern, I'd make sure that there's none of it in contact with your cables as it can cause cross polymerization and that coving isn't really suitable in a kitchen!

What are the markings on the old pullcord terminals ?

I would expect red to be L or common

DS

OK,

DS
Btw, on closer inspection, I see that the terminal on the removed pull cord that the dirty white wire was connected to is marked "common, 2 way". The other 2 terminals are not marked. Dunno if that helps!

That polystyrene is a concern, I'd make sure that there's none of it in contact with your cables as it can cause cross polymerization and that coving isn't really suitable in a kitchen!

Dunno where the poly came from... but what's up with the coving, my pride and joy, that is ;)

And did you connect the white to the common of your new switch ?

DS

What are the markings on the old pullcord terminals ?

I would expect red to be L or common

DS
See my reply below
And did you connect the white to the common of your new switch ?

DS
There's no "common" marked on the switch, just L at one end (to which I've connected the white), then L1 (brown connected) and L2 (blue connected) together at the other end.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back