Problem with 2 way lighting in kitchen

Yeah, sorry RH, I wasn't suggesting replacing the other pull cord just yet, just suggesting possible reasons as to why the 2 way circuit is not working as it should.

Wire the old pull cord switch back in as suggested by TTC and see if the system switches correctly.

If it does, the problem must lie with your changes. If the problem is still apparent, there must be a break somewhere; either a faulty switch mechanism or a physical break in the conductors, at a terminal or along the conductor somewhere.

As your switches have been wired with only one three core cable at each position, there must be a junction box somewhere nearby where all the connections are made (or the connections could be made off in the ceiling rose).

Edited for clarity.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Yeah, sorry RH, I wasn't suggesting replacing the other pull cord just yet, just suggesting possible reasons as to why the 2 way circuit is not working as it should.

Wire the old pull cord switch back in as suggested by TTC and see if the system switches correctly.

If it does, the problem must lie with your changes. If the problem is still apparent, there must be a break somewhere; either a faulty switch mechanism or a physical break in the conductors, at a terminal or along the conductor somewhere.

As your switches have been wired with only one three core cable at each position, there must be a junction box somewhere nearby where all the connections are made (or the connections could be made off in the ceiling rose).

Edited for clarity.

Thx Sp,
That's right, there's a big old-fashioned square junction box with a maze of cables connected, including the two to the switches concerned. I will try reconnecting the old switch.

Sponsored Links
Hi SP, DS, et al, here's an update:

After a busy week at work, I just tried wiring another new light switch to the remaining pull cord cable as a test. The two-way switching works perfectly, so it seems the problem was a fault with the old pull switch or some kind of incompatibility between it and the new switch at the other point, due to its old age possibly. Anyway, I am going to buy a new pull switch to use there instead of chasing out the wall for a switch, as it would emerge into the loft right at the edge of the house where it's been filled with all this powdery insulation. So if there is some inherent incompatibility between switch and pull cord, I will find out and end up having to chase the wall anyway.
Thanks for all your help and suggestions.

There won't be any compatibility issues, they are just plain bog standard switches.
It is maybe worth checking your switches with an ohm meter to make sure they are switching properly.
You should be able to measure the circuit between common and one of the outputs, when switched between common and the other output.

Suggest a gammy switch?

May be stuffed up with the powdery insulation?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back