Problem with Firebird boiler popular 900

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The oil is getting to he bolier ,when this has happened previously I have been able to loosed a nut the the front next to the red button, the oils usually fires out through this and I can quickly tighten it up and boiler goes, but not today.
There are no air locks I have blew through all the pipes and check the oil is flowing correctly.
It makes all the right noises to fire up but does not .
Please help.

Sponsored Links
When was it last serviced? Could be a blocked filter, incorrectly spaced electrodes, dirty/faulty photocell, worn pump, broken pump drive coupling.....

Its probably been 12 months.
I have loosed the nut to bleed it but the oil is not floowing freely through it just in drops.

Are you sure you've got oil in your tank? If it's been 12 months then you should get it serviced, that might also cure the problem

Sponsored Links
I've got oil and the frustrating thing is I have checked the flexi pipe and the oil is flowing through this into the boiler it's just not coming in a very slight dribble when I unscrew the bolt usually do when I'm bleeding.
Should the oil flow be stronger than that?

The oil flow needs to be stronger than what you say.....checking the tank filter would be a good move!
John :)

The flow thru the flexi pipe is good but it's not coming thru to the bleeding bolt. I took off the flexi & blew thru it wen the bolt was out to clear it.
For some reason the oil is not flowing as strong from where the flexi fits in & the bolt for bleeding.

The oil pump will have its own filter built in, but often enough its best to bleed when the burner is trying to start up.
Really, there's quite a few possibilities here.....we don't know if the motor is starting up, or indeed running at the required speed.

I took off the flexi pipe & took out the bleeding bolt & blew thru again just to ensure there were no blockages.
I started it up & away it went, although I did this before.
Thanks everyone for your help , I'm completely useless with anything DIY.
Cheers

Hi Bunnerma
Although it's working how do I check it's running at the rite speed.
Where is the oil filter on the pump?

As the burner has now sorted itself, you can assume that the motor is just fine, so long as it continues to start.
The pump filters are under the outer cover, but some have a screw in cartridge, depending on which pump you have.

Although it went for an hour or so last night it
I repeated what I did last nite no go.
What's interesting ther is a bolt on the underside of the boiler not far from the bleeding bolt. The oil gushes through this but not the bleeding bolt.
The oil is not forcing itself through even though there's only 1-2 inches between them.
The boiler is just short of firing.
Any thoughts.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back