Problem with light fitting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I am trying to twist the inner rim bit out so I can replace the bulb in this light fitting. I have eight of them that are stuck. Has anyone got any ideas on how I can get them unstuck?

Thanks

Attachments

• Light fitting.jpg
    Light fitting.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 137
Sponsored Links
Could be the heat?

They usually just twist anti-clock and drop down.

I have 8 fittings where it does twist anti-clockwise and drop down - the other 8 are stuck and I cannot twist them. Is there a tool you can get to untwist the rims?

Sponsored Links
They are probably made of a crap metal alloy and have swollen and distorted. Very common with a certain brand of fitting. The last ones of these I did were jammed solid, so the lamps were all replaced with LED ones. They were fitted by removing the fitting from the ceiling and replacing the lamps from behind. The customer had already got the LED lamps and did not want to replace the complete fittings, which would be the most desirable option.

I had replaced some of the lamps a few years back and was able to force the fittings open, and file the mating surfaces back a bit so they could be opened easily again.

I managed to get needle nose pliers opened wide enough to get two loose. I have two where the unit started twisting and the clips have popped off in the ceiling space. The whole units are now dangling from my ceiling. Cannot replace bulbs from back as they are sealed.

As freddo says its quite common
I sometimes resort to waterpump pliers opened out,so the jaws push the lugs when turned, as you have found out you need to hold the main body first.
likely to scratch the fitting so use masking tape or similar on the jaws or on the fitting.

I have 8 fittings where it does twist anti-clockwise and drop down - the other 8 are stuck and I cannot twist them. Is there a tool you can get to untwist the rims?
Your shopping list:

1. Hammer
  2. Chisel
  3. Filler
  4. Plasterboard
  5. Padsaw
  6. Paint
  7. Lights designed to do the job of lighting up rooms

Thank you for all of the useful comments.

I have taken one down and I can't budge the rim. I am going to have to replace them with LED fittings I think.

Nothing, but if you are going to be replacing the lights it might be an opportunity to reflect on whether to replace them with ones also designed to not light up rooms.

I don't have much of a choice as I am not going to be replacing my ceilings. I have 75mm holes for lights to go in - if you have a suggestion that doesn't involve replacing my ceilings then please say.

1. Go to proper electrical supplier.
2. Buy good quality integrated LED light fittings. Do not buy on price.
(I suggest these) but do check on hole sizing
3. Install them
4. End of worries

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back