Progress on Brexit talks

Reaction score
Country
Cook Islands
hooray, something to report

" In a bid to address Commission concerns over EU27 nationals facing discriminatory border controls, Britain said it would pledge in writing to not change the current operation of the common travel area. Britain and EU also agreed that a citizen of Northern Ireland will still be able to choose between British or Irish citizenship, with the latter making them a citizen of the EU after Brexit."

" A British doctor abroad will still be able to practise medicine in their EU country of residence after Brexit.As part of talks on recognising professional qualifications, the two sides also agreed that citizens from both sides will be able to set up their own businesses in the country they are resident after 2019."

https://www.ft.com/content/1ccb2b06...egmentId=0e5502c2-a654-17b7-29eb-3bb1c22ff1ba

Sponsored Links
However, Michen Barnier has also said that having resigned, UK will no longer have the right to participate in setting the EU's standards.

"European Commission · On Single Market:

The UK wants to take back control, and adopt its own standards and regulations.

But it also wants to have these standards recognised automatically in the EU. That is what UK papers ask.

This is simply impossible. You cannot be outside the Single Market and shape its legal order. "

"Brexit means Brexit" as somebody once said.

The UK wants to take back control, and adopt its own standards and regulations.

The EU says that we can no longer have vacuum cleaners greater than 1600 watts. We tell him that we'll ignore such rule, and Berners simplistic response is, sorry, you can't do that. It's our way, or it's or way, and that applies whether you're in the EU, or you're out of it.

Interesting to see that the EU won't discuss the exit terms until we agree to pay the divorce bill. Now that's a pretty flexible stance isn't it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
The EU says that we can no longer have vacuum cleaners greater than 1600 watts.

We are currently part of the EU; we have participated in setting the EU standard and have agreed to follow it. Once we have left the EU (when and if), we can use whatever size of energy-wasting cleaners our Parliament decides.

Berners simplistic response is, sorry, you can't do that.

No, that's not true. He says that if the EU standard is, for example, 500W; and the UK standard is, for example, 10kW, we can't expect our standard to be acceptable to the EU, so we can't expect to be able to freely export products to the EU that don't meet EU standards. Neither can we expect to have any control over what the EU standards are, after we have resigned. If we don't like them....

Brexit means Brexit, as somebody once said.

The EU says that we can no longer have vacuum cleaners greater than 1600 watts. We tell him that we'll ignore such rule, and Berners simplistic response is, sorry, you can't do that. It's our way, or it's or way, and that applies whether in the EU, or you're out of it.
I'd like to see the EU telling Trump to ban hoovers over 1600w in the USA. :LOL::LOL:

No, that's not true. He says that if the EU standard is, for example, 500W; and the UK standard is, for example, 10kW, we can't expect our standard to be acceptable to the EU, so we can't expect to be able to freely export products to the EU that don't meet EU standards. Neither can we expect to have any control over what the EU standards are, after we have resigned. If we don't like them....

Brexit means Brexit, as somebody once said.
If we don't like the 1600W EU hoovers after we leave, then I'm sure some entrepreneur will start making humungous 2500W ones specifically for the UK (and other) markets... Ooh , but I forgot, Johnnyboy thinks the EU is Britains only market.. Johnnyboy, you do realise there are other markets, don't you? One's which don't have the silly eco target driven ideology of the EU. Christ , next the EU will be telling us to only have 0.01Kt nuclear weapons.

Not the best of examples John, but I suppose we're both wondering what they really meant. If we were to sell into the EU, we wouldn't expect to overide their standards, that's why I was surprised at Berniers comment, and that's why I used the example of vacuum cleaner ratings. Every country knows that they have to conform to the market they are selling into, or the good will get blocked at the port, so why is Bernier effectively accusing us of trying to overide the EU's rules in their own market.

As Bernier is insisting that we continue to allow the ECJ to oversee disputes, so effectively keeping us in the EU, I've taken his stance to be a continuation of that attitude.

I'd like to see the EU telling Trump to ban hoovers over 1600w in the USA. :LOL::LOL:
that's irrelevant. The US isn't in the EU, so it has no obligation to follow EU standards. Unless, of course, it has a vacuum cleaner factory that wants to export vacs into the EU.

I was surprised at Berniers comment

he says that the UK's position paper on this topic postulates that UK standards will automatically be accepted by the EU, after UK's resignation.

As he points out, they will not automatically be accepted by the EU, after UK's resignation.

I have not read the UK's position paper.

that's irrelevant. The US isn't in the EU, so it has no obligation to follow EU standards. Unless, of course, it has a vacuum cleaner factory that wants to export vacs into the EU.
Doggit did say, "that applies whether in the EU, or you're out of it." I suspect the USA has never been in it.

Well he's very busy telling us what to do, so I suppose he only had time to skim though it then, and he is a Jonny foreigner, so he may not have understood it properly. Anyone got a link to it.

Say!, does anyone remember that discussion about central heating pumps that we had recently......? All this talk of vacuum cleaners reminds me of Directive 2009/125/EC.... I wonder if they are linked........:cautious:

Sponsored Links
Back