Propane cylinders

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not really a plumbing issue but I need to buy propane and plumbers use it.

Cylinders seem to be in short supply. Therefore it is exchange only.
I need to buy a small cylinder (refillable type 5-7 kg) to teach myself brazing.
The torch is designed for this fuel.

I will need to buy an empty cylinder off ebay/facebook so I can exchange it.
What do I need to check?
I have emailed BOC to ask, but what would happen if my s/h cylinder was damaged in some way that I am not aware off?
I guess I can check the threads?

Sponsored Links
Ask the guys at your local recycling centre, you might even get one with gas in it.

Expect to braze only small section materials with propane....Mapp gas is better, but again the brazing function is strictly limited.
Any material needs to be bright red hot all around the joint for brazing spelter to flow.
John :)

Yup ... Oxy/Acet was our preferred mix for brazing, used to use it to seam weld with bronze rods. You might just be hot enough with oxy/prop if the job isn't too big.

Sponsored Links
Slightly different context I know......

At work, we are only allowed to use oxy/prop to braze since the insurers won't allow Acetylene cylinders inside the building.

I've been trying to get a 19kg Propane cylinder for weeks now ..... tried BOC/Calor/my local marina/Chandler ... always the same answer - only exchange.

go to your local static ( residential park home site) and enquire there. they often have their compound with gas supplies

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back