Property Developers

masona said:
I used to work mostly for well-off people and to get paid by them is like blood out of a stone.

Well, it works both ways. Has anyone else seen the documentaries with interviews with real-life tradesmen, many of them admitting to quoting more if the customer appeared "posh"? I am not sure how many tradesmen do this, but it is probably just as many as the well-off people who don't pay.

Now, obviously there are a lot of good tradesmen out there, but there are also some appalling ones. My parents hired in a kitchen fitter. He gave a quote, estimated somewhere around two weeks work. He then did what can only be described as a mediocre job, didn't finish (cabinets not all installed, no tiling done). Now, he had decided that it would take him two weeks, quoted two weeks, but when he got halfway through week three he decided "They're not paying me enough, I'm off". They hadn't changed the spec, they got up and went out to work every morning before he arrived, came home after he left, were available by phone to answer any questions. He still expected full payment. Whatsmore, my parents paid him the full amount because they couldn't be bothered with the hassle :evil:

Now, if some private company is doing work for the government, quotes £500M to do a job, decides it has underquoted and then demands £1bn, everyone feels outraged. In fact, the system now used for most government contracts does not allow this. So why should it be allowed elsewhere?

Sponsored Links
AdamW you just gave the reason why some tradesmen get away with it, "your parents gave into him to avoid hassle".

The fitter gave a quote, it's not your parents fault if he could not do it in that time & price , why give into him?

What they should have done is got someone in to finish the work, paid him, then taken this off the original quote and paid the first fitter the money left. If he doesn't like it, tough sue me.

My brother is in the building trade and he was telling me that if you have enough money you can become a member of The Federation of Master Builders even if your a cowboy builder.Sounds good eh?

Sponsored Links
justlooking said:
What they should have done is got someone in to finish the work, paid him, then taken this off the original quote and paid the first fitter the money left. If he doesn't like it, tough sue me.

That's what I would have done, I'm a right bu**er for not getting mucked about. Unfortunately that old devil "emotion" came into it. For some reason (can't think why) this guy wasn't doing too well in getting more work... well, they won't recommend him to anyone for a start!

So my parents being generous souls decided it was a lot less hassle to just cut his losses (bah) and then got it finished between my Dad and the general builder they were originally going to use. Who turned out to be very good and due to that got the contract on the new shower room, some extensive works to their landing and now has the contract to do all the work on a new property they have bought (apart from the electrics). And all their friends are queuing up to hire this guy because they've seen his work now and know his prices. Word of mouth certainly works for him!

I know that when I've not allowed enough time for a job, you just work harder and longer and take that experience with you to the next job.

As my experience grows, so does my confidence in charging a higher price (allowing more time instead of only allowing the min).

Also because I am becoming more established, I am aquiring more work. Which means I am not afraid of charging the right amount as I'm not desperate for work.

I pride myself in being straight and honest with my clients, which helps all round. I took longer than anticipated with a patio recently (my first!) and was given £50 cash for my troubles, which was nice! Customer pleased and so was I!

And for what it's worth, in my experience the genuinely wealthy are always good payers.

The interesting thing is that very few buyers of new houses know the regulations or the pitfalls. Even fairly reputable and useful books e.g. Which guide to home buying, don't go into this detail. What is needed is a simple checklist of what documentation you need and who is responsible for inspecting and correcting what.

I don't believe that I've ever had a final inspection certificate (never knew I needed one!!) and I've had occasion to speak to the Building Control department on a few occasions. Seems as though they're not interested either as they never came round to look at the place let alone raise a report.

Well, my 12 months period has well and truly elapsed. I expect that the next stage of problems will occur when I come to sell the house.

You have to ask the question "Who the hell is looking after the buyer's interests?" The solicitor looks after the conveyancing, surveyor looks after the physical fabric, Building Control for appearing to conform to regulations but where does the responsibility lie for making sure that all this happens? At present it is with the buyer alone and unfortunately the phrase caveat emptor means that you can get the p**s taken out of you. :evil:

Ian.. When you go to sell you house you may encounter further problems..

B****R!!

I understand that Licensed Conveyancers and Solicitors have to keep copies of the documents for upto 6 years should a dispute arise.

I've lived here for 6 years and 6 months so that's that one done with!! I can get free legal advice through my insurance company so I may well do that even if it's only to find out what awaits me in the future.

Please do not tarnish the whole industry with the same brush. There are many tradesmen out there working very hard to satisfy the most difficult people, and doing a sterling job!!!!

And just another one for good measure - yes there are some good guys around and they stand out like shining lights however they are so fully employed because of their reputation that the rest end up doing piece work for developers (lowest price at that!!). This explains the fact that the back of my house needs re-pointing as the mortar contains about 2% cement and the plumber was nicknamed Mr Leaky - work it out for yourself. The foreman got sacked because he was helping himself to material (and he was the boss's son!! so it was pretty bad!). Rant On!! :evil:

Mark Smith said:
1. The gap between the door and door frame should be no more that 3mm?
Correct, we use a thickness of a 10p coin as a guide !
2. The exterior of the dwelling should be sealed ie no missing mortar joints or brickwork as this would be failure to comply with the building regulations???? Document C of the building regulations
Correct
3. All 4 sides of a door should be painted to stop the door from warping?
Yes and no, because timber need to breathe as well.
4. Door width is now 33mm to allow wheel chair access?
Did you mean 33"? I'm not up to date on this one.
5. Mortar joints should be 10-15mm?
Common bricks 10mm, Celcon blocks 15mm
6. Scrim joints should not normally show if the artex on the ceiling is applied evenly?
No, the artex will show hairline crack unless the joints are taped correctly
7. Conservatories should 18inches away from the boundaries?
No, at least 1m. If I remember rightly, it's to do with fire and fire escape

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back