Proposed 'Pay As You Drive' Costs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just heard on the news about a proposal to charge drivers for their journeys on the roads.

At first I thought it sounded like a good idea. However, as the report went it, it got worse. There is no suggestion of getting rid of road tax and then I heard about the proposed charges :eek: eg. One couple being intervied were driving about 250 miles in 'off-peak' traffic and non-congested roads - they were told that the cost would be about £46 if the proposals went ahead. On some 'congested' roads they are suggesting about £1.50 per mile. On top of petrol/diesel taxes and road taxes I think this is a ridiculous proposal. The implications can only be - higher costs for food, clothes, etc, etc - anything that is transported on roads, and anyone who provides a service that requires them to drive.

What next? :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
ooo...can't wait. rush hour at 3.00 a.m. anyone living near a busy road will wonder what's going on. no more light traffic sabbaticals in which to catch some sleep.

permanent drone.

nightmare!

I'm getting fed up of all this. Surely they realise that it makes more sense to just increase the tax on fuel and abolish the road tax fund. So why don't they just do it? :rolleyes:

gcol said:
I'm getting fed up of all this. Surely they realise that it makes more sense to just increase the tax on fuel and abolish the road tax fund. So why don't they just do it? :rolleyes:

It's not a vote winner. Petrol at £3 per litre?

Sponsored Links
gcol said:
Where do yuo get the figure of £3 a litre from?

Made it up. Just like all taxation systems are made up.

Try putting 10% on fuel and that will cancel out your road tax. Now tell me that doesn't make sense. Pay as you go. The 10% figure is working on 12,000 miles a year and a road tax fund of around £200.

gcol said:
Try putting 10% on fuel and that will cancel out your road tax. Now tell me that doesn't make sense. Pay as you go. The 10% figure is working on 12,000 miles a year and a road tax fund of around £200.

Makes sense to me :)

Oh, but what about all the money they currently make from Fines for people not having a road tax? :eek: Get back to the calculator ;)

You think that the fines out weigh the lost revenue due to none payers? Get real. If you lump road tax onto fuel, no one would escape from paying, plus you'd not need the administration charges to recover the tax dodgers. It's a win win situation - you only pay for what you use and no one can escape.

gcol said:
You think that the fines out weigh the lost revenue due to none payers? Get real. If you lump road tax onto fuel, no one would escape from paying, plus you'd not need the administration charges to recover the tax dodgers. It's a win win situation - you only pay for what you use and no one can escape.

You are right, but I think that fines go to the local area (Council) and not a 'government pool' that the increased fuel tax would. Great if the government will then increase monies relevantly to each Council :p

I just read that traffic congestion is proposed to rise by 25% by the year 2015. What it didn't mention was the reason. Does anyone know if it is because there will be more cars on the roads in the UK, or is it because the roads are not being made suitable for shifts in population? (i.e. businesses, shops, etc changing location)

all the talk about this 'tax' is missing the point...

it's just another way of keeping tabs on us and where we go/what we do...and charging us for the privilige of 'supplying' that knowledge!!

One couple being intervied were driving about 250 miles in 'off-peak' traffic and non-congested roads - they were told that the cost would be about £46 if the proposals went ahead
I missed the part where they gave the actual charges, that would **** me right up, I often travel (Im self employed) and do a a fair few miles, a customer of mine has sites in various parts of the country, one site is about 250 miles away - so £46 each way going of the previous proposal. Am I supposed to just increase my price by £almost £100 a day?
I wonder if these TAXES will apply to taxies?
IMO its nothing to do with the environment, polution etc, its to do with once again taking money off people.

it's just another way of keeping tabs on us and where we go/what we do...and charging us for the privilige of 'supplying' that knowledge!!
probably, but also a giant tax as well - oh unless you own a 850cc car that couldnt possibly hold all your equipment, you know, like the cars politicians drive, the economical ones, THEY wont pay it, or if they do it will be claimed back on expenses.

eggplant said:
........... Am I supposed to just increase my price by £almost £100 a day?
I wonder if these TAXES will apply to taxies?
IMO its nothing to do with the environment, polution etc, its to do with once again taking money off people.

I know that such proposals were discussed some years ago, but didn't come to anything, but the fact that they have reared their head again is a bit worrying. What you say about increasing your prices is exactly what I think will happen if this goes ahead - and no fault of the person giving the service - you have to make a living. It is supposedly being proposed as a solution to congestion on the roads. However, the report didn't validate this as it gave examples of what a person would likely pay for a journey on a 'quiet' road as well as a 'busy' road. Perhaps some people do use their cars uneccessarily, but it is their choice to do so, and can the government say that they will provide a transport system that will take everyone exactly to where they need to go and at the time they need to be there? Mission Impossible :rolleyes:

It seems more and more like this government is taking knee-jerk reactions without putting a great deal of thought into the possible consequences. Interestingly, I recall the Conservatives doing this when they thought they wouldn't be in power for much longer (i.e. Privatise everything and let the next government sort out the mess) :LOL: :LOL:

Danger all around in the proposals.
Take Singapore, they have draconian costs associated with car ownership and driving... Result? People not only buy ('98 anyway) the likes of an Opel (Vauxhall lookalike) for £40k but run the thing paying extortionate licensing costs .. Crucially for the notso wealthy that money is not spent on goods and services ... Do we reckon we are that much different to them regarding the car? BTW we were still regularly stuck in traffic jams during visits!!
About our road system, who will pay for the upkeep? I would not be happy contributing if actually priced off tarmac. .. earthen tracks replace minor roads? So which ones? Who makes the choice?
I can only see sat tracking applied to new vehicles, the cost of modding secondhand motors would be high. Numberplate recognition and some kind of signal, car to gantry reciever on entry / exit to restricted roads would work (Singapore did this).
Finally I ask again, who will fancy owning a car among the great disadvantaged? That is bad enough in some areas now..

Most of us are steeped in a culture of relative freedom to roam at will, stay in this once warm and pleasant land and be unfairly castigated for the world's problems or decamp to where the grass (if any) is greener - one life.
:D

Sponsored Links
Back