Pryonix installation difficulty?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

First post here, I'm new to alarms but I've been reading up on these forums for the past week or so and I'm wondering if someone could help me a little bit.

I'm about to move into a new property and I would like to install an alarm, it has to be wireless as there is zero chance of a cabled install without it making a mess. I don't know much about alarms, so I nearly ended up buying a Yale Easy Fit Kit (Standard or Telecommunicating). Then I did my research and found out about the bands (433 & 868) so I wanted to get a newer version that used 868...then eventually read up on "Grades" and decided I would rather spend £500 on a proper system, than £150 on a pap system.
So.....after doing a bit more research and nosing round these forums, I quite fancy this;

http://www.map-security.com/pyronix...th-digi-wifi-communicator-app-kit-1-wifi.html

I wanted to get the Yale Smart Alarm the can connected to the internet, so I could check the system remotely etc, so I think this will do the job, I do have a couple of questions if someone wouldn't mind indulging me;

• Is this kit above complete? or do I need a something else? (other than the 2 extra window sensors I need to purchase)
  • How difficult would this be to install for an amateur? I work in IT and I'm fairly technical, I can follow a set of instructions at least
  • I've come across a monthly/yearly fee to access the Pyronix cloud, which in turn will allow access to your system remotely? How much is at the moment as I can't seem to find this information on their website anywhere? Also, do you have to use the cloud service? I'd much rather VPN to home and access the panel locally rather than have it cloud connected
I'm open to any other system suggestions that you may have with similar functionality. I did consider a Texecomm system but the setup does appear to bit more complicated a DIY'er :)

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
The Pyronix and Texecom kit are both good, fairly straightforward to install, the latter good for large sites as it uses a mesh style network. I'd recommend reading the manual before installing so you understand the terminology.

I've only experienced the Texecom app and honestly it's not great. Notifications seem to go missing (although it's got better) and I still can't get the email function to work. Given that you pay for the Pyronix cloud stuff, and is hosted by AWS, it'll probably be the better of the two.

Be aware that while the IP module is powered by the panel and has a battery backup, your router probably doesn't so a power cut = no notifications. You can get a GSM module that is internally powered for both panels for text alerts and sending commands to the panel. Contract SIM's are fairly cheap nowadays.

The Pyronix and Texecom kit are both good, fairly straightforward to install, the latter good for large sites as it uses a mesh style network. I'd recommend reading the manual before installing so you understand the terminology.

I've only experienced the Texecom app and honestly it's not great. Notifications seem to go missing (although it's got better) and I still can't get the email function to work. Given that you pay for the Pyronix cloud stuff, and is hosted by AWS, it'll probably be the better of the two.

Be aware that while the IP module is powered by the panel and has a battery backup, your router probably doesn't so a power cut = no notifications. You can get a GSM module that is internally powered for both panels for text alerts and sending commands to the panel. Contract SIM's are fairly cheap nowadays.

Hi there,

Thanks for your reply. The Texecom app doesn't look quite as "polished" for sure :)
The cloud part does bug me slightly, I'd rather just talk direct to the system, cut out an additional point of failure, never-mind. I don't suppose you know what the monthly/yearly cost of the Pyronix system? I read £36 somewhere which I can live with, but I also read £72 which starts to bump the price a little bit more than i'd like.

All of the router/modem etc equipment will go in a rack in the loft once I've moved in. I have a nice big UPS, which will keep all of the security reliant bits running in the event of a powercut, although a backup GSM option wouldn't hurt but I think £500 is about my limit.

Thanks again.

Hi there,

Thanks for your reply. The Texecom app doesn't look quite as "polished" for sure :)
The cloud part does bug me slightly, I'd rather just talk direct to the system, cut out an additional point of failure, never-mind. I don't suppose you know what the monthly/yearly cost of the Pyronix system? I read £36 somewhere which I can live with, but I also read £72 which starts to bump the price a little bit more than i'd like.

All of the router/modem etc equipment will go in a rack in the loft once I've moved in. I have a nice big UPS, which will keep all of the security reliant bits running in the event of a powercut, although a backup GSM option wouldn't hurt but I think £500 is about my limit.

Thanks again.

I can't see any mention of costs on the Pyronix website so not sure.

On the Texe you could fit both IP and GSM modules, the enforcer only has space for one.

Sponsored Links
I can't see any mention of costs on the Pyronix website so not sure.

On the Texe you could fit both IP and GSM modules, the enforcer only has space for one.
I'd personally fit a 3rd party GSM voice dialler (£60 on Ebay) as a cheap backup connected to the bell trigger, its very easy to miss a text or push message from a genuine break-in attempt whereas a voice call with a confirmation that rotates through a list of contacts will not be missed.

I'd personally fit a 3rd party GSM voice dialler (£60 on Ebay) as a cheap backup connected to the bell trigger, its very easy to miss a text or push message from a genuine break-in attempt whereas a voice call with a confirmation that rotates through a list of contacts will not be missed.

Thanks for the suggestion.
I'm assuming I could hide it in the loft behind the bell, which would be a simple install, that's definitely appealing. Do you have any recommendations, it's certainly something I could add afterwards if needs be.

Thanks for the suggestion.
I'm assuming I could hide it in the loft behind the bell, which would be a simple install, that's definitely appealing. Do you have any recommendations, it's certainly something I could add afterwards if needs be.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GSM-Alarm...hash=item4b12a47897:m:m-Tdpn8qfHI61EJSu9L3qVw
doesn't really need to be hid as by the time the burglar has entered the property and the alarm is going off the dialler will have already made the call.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Has anyone bought from;
https://www.citysecuritysystems.co.uk/

They are £50 cheaper on the kit I'm after but their terms and conditions state they won't give techinical support to personal users, only professional installers. I can't find a similar statement from Map Security. It might be worth paying the additional £50 for techinical assistance if they give it.

I went onto the Pyronix website to download the manual and found there are two...users and installers...and the installers isn't available for download :( I've had a look through the available manuals, I can't quite find the one I need;

Pyronix Enforcer Wireless HOME CONTROL+ with DIGI-WIFI Communicator - APP-KIT-1-WIFI

Does anyone happen to have this one handy?

Many Thanks

Good.

Let me try to explain, in general alarm equipment is for the SECURITY Cos. (installation manuals that is), we don't even leave a copy (if, we need one), you can have as many User Manuals that you like.

For all we here know you want the installation manuals for nefarious reasons, but, you never know. We do not give out the Engineer Code either, stops end users 'playing' with the equipment, changing programming etc, and they do, I can assure you.

Also, by the Standards that we have to work to, we are not allowed to pass them on to the end user.

Getting an installation manual from a 'pro' alarm forum, forget it.

The above is the reason there was not a manual inside the control panel you bought.

Good.

Let me try to explain, in general alarm equipment is for the SECURITY Cos. (installation manuals that is), we don't even leave a copy (if, we need one), you can have as many User Manuals that you like.

For all we here know you want the installation manuals for nefarious reasons, but, you never know. We do not give out the Engineer Code either, stops end users 'playing' with the equipment, changing programming etc, and they do, I can assure you.

Also, by the Standards that we have to work to, we are not allowed to pass them on to the end user.

Getting an installation manual from a 'pro' alarm forum, forget it.

The above is the reason there was not a manual inside the control panel you bought.

Thanks for responding, that makes sense if the alarm has been installed by a security company. I work in IT, we wouldn't give an end user administrative access to their own server or router, it would cause havoc. On the other hand, if we left all of the passwords for their router and other equipment as default, and they acquired it online and tampered with it, that would be our fault.
What you say suggests that there is a backdoor into these alarm systems by using the installation manuals or some knowledge, which doesn't sound very secure to me. I'm sure there are some criminals out that could become a qualified alarm installation engineer for this very reason.
I was going to buy a £150 Yale alarm, easy fit and from what I have read, easily bypassed. Are all Pyronix users on this forum qualified alarm engineers? The forum name suggests it's more of a DIY thing, hence my posting.

On the flip side if you buy Texecom you get the installation manuals (along with any associated software) with the panels, Texecom will also give technical advise to the end user either over the phone, via email or directly through their own forum, the help they give is also of a very high quality.

On a side not I easily just found then engineers manul for the Pyronix Enforcer with a simple Google search, it was even at the top of the list.

On a side not I easily just found then engineers manul for the Pyronix Enforcer with a simple Google search, it was even at the top of the list.

Haha I did see something similar but i wasn't sure if the Pyronix Enforcer manual covered the HomeControl+ model, whatever that part means. I just called Map Security and asked their advice, they suggested a DIY install can be done quite easily with common sense and without the manual, although he is trying to sell me something :)

You've definitely turned my head to the Texecom stuff though, that sounds good. I might have to a do a bit more research into that.

On a side note, they said Pyronix charge £30 +VAT a year for the cloud account which is reasonable in my eyes.

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back