PS3 US Plug

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok my bro has just got back from america for a few months got a PS£, it has a US plug i know we run on diffrent voltage, will we be able to simpley just change the end of the plug and will it work?

Sponsored Links
betty02 said:
Ok my bro has just got back from america for a few months got a PS£, it has a US plug i know we run on diffrent voltage, will we be able to simpley just change the end of the plug and will it work?

Only if it it will handle a 230 volt 50 Hz input ( USA is 110v 60 Hz ) so read the instructions and specifications.

NOTE if you change the plug the colours on USA power leads are

LIVE BLACK
NEUTRAL WHITE

You will probabelyneed an Auto Transformer of the correct VA read the back of the console it should say something like 110V 3.8A 50/60HZ think thats the spec for the US PS3

Why has he bought a US console he will only be able to play imported NTSC games and Region 1 DVDs and Region A/1 Blu-Ray Discs, however I think some of the earlier consoles alowed any Blu-ray disk to be played regardless of region

Sponsored Links
betty02 said:

PS3's have universal power supplies. Get rid of the US cable altogether and just use a standard kettle lead but with a 5amp fuse in it. Ignore that it says it will only take 110/120v, they do accept 240 and work perfectly fine. Google about and you will find the same info.

RobFurn said:
You will probabelyneed an Auto Transformer of the correct VA read the back of the console it should say something like 110V 3.8A 50/60HZ think thats the spec for the US PS3

Why has he bought a US console he will only be able to play imported NTSC games and Region 1 DVDs and Region A/1 Blu-Ray Discs, however I think some of the earlier consoles alowed any Blu-ray disk to be played regardless of region

Actually the PS3's are completely region free for PS3 games and blu-ray discs.

twocom said:
PS3's have universal power supplies. Get rid of the US cable altogether and just use a standard kettle lead but with a 5amp fuse in it. Ignore that it says it will only take 110/120v, they do accept 240 and work perfectly fine. Google about and you will find the same info.

I think that is VERY bad advice.

Most electronic kit has universal power supply these days, HOWEVER, they do say on them "110-250 volts 50-60hz". If your PS3 does not say this, I suggest you use an external power transformer.

twocom said:
RobFurn said:

Actually the PS3's are completely region free for PS3 games and blu-ray discs.

I have an imported Jap PS3 game "RR7" and it doesnt work in a UK console. Like I say the early model PS3 cosoles were region free for blue-ray Discs maybe they just decided to keep making them regioin free.

twocom said:
betty02 said:

Have you actually tried this or have you just picked up this information from the internet ?
I only ask as when I worked at the cable manufacturers we made all sorts of cables even those for games consoles. Once a numpty from the waherhose decided to sneak into my office when I was on holiday and have a go of the then NEW PS2, unkown ot him it was a US import bought for me to develop cables etc. he plugged it in via a standard fig 8 cable. I only noticed when I returned from holiday to find the cosole swimming in water, Mr numpty put the resultant fire out with a glass of water, then shoved it back in the drawer and pretended like nothing happened!!!

Ok well update to you all, i just sued a UK 'kettle' cable as the internal powersuply IS universal and i took the case of and it handles 110-240 which si good for me, and they are not blu-ray region free but they are game region free if that makes sence

so all i needed to do was change the cable and boom no problems at all, not to hot or anything!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back