Public Car Chargers

Sponsored Links
I’m surprised pre-charged swapping power packs haven’t been explored. Maybe it’s the risk of fraud/theft.

Most people with EVs fill up at home. It’s only long journeys that you need a top up.

It’s similar to the argument of having an SUV for the 3 times a year you go camping/caravanning
Screenshot_20230822-190829.png

If people in China are willing to fake a single Panasonic 18650 worth about £6 you can be sure they will have a crack at a pack with 4000 in

Well, different charger, different experience.

Another one, this time in our village. Plugged in, tapped the Electroverse card: charging!

Don't understand though, the car is charging at 3.8kW, the charger is rated 7kW. Maybe it's tapped off a lamp standard......

Sponsored Links
EVs are a retrograde step, and always will be until a revolution in power distribution, supply and EV technology (yet to happen). At the dawn of the motoring era they tried electric and found it to be impractical.

More recently, they tried electric again, and again found it to be impractical.

:giggle: Now it's third time unlucky. (n)

Anyone else driven mad trying to charge their EV?

Yeah 95% of EV owners.

There have been very few positive reviews with EV chargers. They are amazingly unreliable, which is odd for what is effectively a plug that in various forms we've been doing for 100 years.

It seems that at present EVs only really work if your driving doesn't necessitate the use of these chargers whilst travelling to your destination

Don’t get this problem with Tesla

I don't get the fascination people have with Tesla ,( other than the charging grid) I dont think they're particularly great looking cars, model 3 and s aren't too bad, but they y not very nice at all. They've gone into beige mode creating bland designs, whilst the traditional car makers are pushing the design envelope..

In theory, the Electroverse app is great.

I can find all the chargers that partner with Octopus, I can make a route to take in any of these chargers.

And the app tells you which are free, or, if occupied, when they will become free.

This fell flat for me as when we were out tonight with the car on charge, the Electroverse app told me all 4 points were available. No sign that the one I was using was occupied....

The other week the app told me all 4 charger points were in use, but they were all free.

This is basic stuff which they should be getting right.

But one thing they have got right with my card is that you can use the same card for a multitude of charge points. You don't need multiple apps, accounts or passwords. You just plug in and tap your card (assuming the thing is working!).

And if they are partnered with Octopus, the cost goes on your leccy bill. If not, your Electroverse card is linked to your debit card.

I don't get the fascination people have with Tesla ,( other than the charging grid) I dont think they're particularly great looking cars, model 3 and s aren't too bad, but they y not very nice at all. They've gone into beige mode creating bland designs, whilst the traditional car makers are pushing the design envelope..
I think similarly. The charging network is the best part.

To me, the cars look ugly and the motoring press have found the build quality wanting.

In theory, the Electroverse app is great.

I can find all the chargers that partner with Octopus, I can make a route to take in any of these chargers.

And the app tells you which are free, or, if occupied, when they will become free.

This fell flat for me as when we were out tonight with the car on charge, the Electroverse app told me all 4 points were available. No sign that the one I was using was occupied....

The other week the app told me all 4 charger points were in use, but they were all free.

This is basic stuff which they should be getting right.

But one thing they have got right with my card is that you can use the same card for a multitude of charge points. You don't need multiple apps, accounts or passwords. You just plug in and tap your card (assuming the thing is working!).

And if they are partnered with Octopus, the cost goes on your leccy bill. If not, your Electroverse card is linked to your debit card.

The principle of it sounds perfect, and that's exactly how easy it should be (though no doubt people will get caught out with the cost going on the leccy bill)

The problem is the charging infrastructure is just woeful, as you found out, why can't they just work.

Apparently there is approximately 1300 public chargers a day that just don't work, but I think it's more than that

100% agree with you. They are pretty avg to look at. The only other car I looked at was the Taycan but they are a lot more money and it was a toss up between a used taycan or a new model 3 performance.

It’s the driving interface with the Tesla. You love it or hate it. They are streets ahead on the tech though.

Has anyone actually claimed that it is more convenient to charge an EV than to fill up with fuel?
My closing point wasn't just focused on the refueling aspect, it was a wider point relating to EV vs ICE vehicle ownership and the use of public vs private transport, the whole thing if you like. Over the coming years we are going to see an increasing narrative and positive promotion around EVs (but only using when absolutely required), public transport and good old walking/cycling because, rightly or wrongly, government want to move the masses away from using personal vehicles. My point was don't try to convince us it's better from a convenience point of view because, in many if not most cases, it isn't.

Perhaps we need a battery where we could drain out the exhausted electrolyte and refill with new electrolyte containing lots of charge?
Flow batteries.

They've got rubbish energy density, you'd need a large tank of electrolyte, a large tank to hold the used electrolyte and the infrastructure to support it. They have lots of potential for stationary medium term storage though.

Right now the sums don't make sense for cars.

Sponsored Links
Back