Public Car Chargers

I've never heard it claimed that charging an EV is more convenient than filling up with fuel.
I've heard it claimed for home charging. And it is more convenient.

But I don't think anyone has claimed charging at Services is better than filling up with petrol.

Sponsored Links
I don't know what percentage of people have a drive way to park on. But increasingly I see rubber bumper mats over power cables being run across the pavement. Pretty sure that isn't allowed - (highways act).

Tesla now charge a station hog fee, if you leave your car in a charge bay for more than 5 minutes after its charged.

If people in China are willing to fake a single Panasonic 18650 worth about £6 you can be sure they will have a crack at a pack with 4000 in

Practically though, will that really matter to the driver?

They won't be buying the (swap-outable) battery; only swapping it for a charged one (at a service station).

The risk will be with the service stations, who would be buying the things.

It's like a fake £20 note, you might not know where you got it, only you're stuck with it and its not £20, its £15k. There will be money to be made hacking the units and replacing 100 or so cells. You wont know until the range drops or it catches fire.

Sponsored Links
you might not know where you got it

The last place you "filled up", by any chance? :rolleyes:

only you're stuck with it and its not £20, its £15k

Not if you only "swap in-out" at reputable agents.
I'm sure if this was adopted as a business model, some billion-dollar players will invest a lot in making it workable.

There will be money to be made hacking the units and replacing 100 or so cells.

Someone, somewhere is faking anything and everything. Doesn't stop legitimate business though.

You wont know until the range drops or it catches fire.

But you can reduce the likelihood, by only using reputable agents.

NIO do battery swapping, it takes four minutes for them to swap out a battery pack. Which is great, as long as you're not in a queue waiting.

If the queue gets long enough you'd be better off using a fast charger. In terms of density modern fast charging means you more or less break even in terms of floor space

The last place you "filled up", by any chance? :rolleyes:

Not if you only "swap in-out" at reputable agents.
I'm sure if this was adopted as a business model, some billion-dollar players will invest a lot in making it workable.

Someone, somewhere is faking anything and everything. Doesn't stop legitimate business though.

But you can reduce the likelihood, by only using reputable agents.
of course if you sell it as a subscription, and lock the consumer in to a proprietary network, then you wont have to worry.

Sponsored Links
Back