Public Car Chargers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It's a big learning curve, this EV malarkey.

As I am an Octopus customer, I got an Electroverse card, which, I was told, would act as a payment card and add the cost of charging onto our electricity bill.

There are a large number of charging points that work with Electroverse, so it seemed a no-brainer to get this card, rather than the alternative: having a squillion cards, apps or accounts.

You can set your app to show all the points that work with Electroverse, which I did. We then decided to go to our nearest pub with a charging point. We thought we'd learn how to use the system and have a couple of beers while we waited.

The app told me that 4 charging points were available.

We pulled up to the first pod, plugged in and nothing.

Comparing it to the second pod, we could see the lights indicating it was active were not lit.

So we moved to the second pod, which was lit both sides. Good start.

So we plugged in again. After a bit of confusion, the pod asked us to flash the card.

Did so, but nothing seemed to happen.

Checked the Electroverse app FAQs: it said to check your card is active; it was. The other issue, it said, might be a breakdown in comms with the unit.

So I unplugged and tried the other side of the pod. No joy.

Thinking the Electroverse card may be faulty in some way, I used my debit card. Still no joy.

By this time (it was raining) Mrs Secure was wet and grumpy, so we left.

It's not rocket science, surely?

You plug in your lead, flash a valid card and the car should start charging. But no.

Anyone else driven mad trying to charge their EV?

Sponsored Links
Anyone else driven mad trying to charge their EV?

Nope. Wouldn't ever own one. But I admire your self sacrifice and act of masochism in being one of the first in a doomed experiment.The technology and infrastructure are nowhere ready enough or reliable. You're just beginning to discover this, unfortunately it's just the beginning and untold stress and aggravation awaits you.

Electric vehicles made sense when they just used to bring our semi skimmed and yogurt. As personal transport in their current form, they're ludicrous in every way, and quite possibly dangerous. Korean government is suing an EV manufacturer because range was half advertised, especially in winter.

How much will these things be worth after a few years and the batteries start getting even weaker? And how much did you pay for your eco-chariot? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

‘I spent my entire Italian holiday madly searching for EV charging points’​

But, as Arthur Daley once said - "second class driving is better than first class walking."

Last edited:
It's leased, so we're not worried about any depreciation.

Most of our driving is short journeys.
The car is an extended range model with in excess of 280 miles range. The most we have got on one charge was off the first charge the garage did before handover and it was 265. Once we get our home charger sorted, we will be cushty. We're just using the Granny lead at home in the meantime and have just started exploring using a public charger as an alternative to the GL.

Hoping the driven mad bit will soon pass as we get used to the various chargers and how Electroverse works.

Sponsored Links
If you have a smart meter you can switch to the octopus EV tariff which allows you to charge over night at 7p per kw from memory. A supercharger while fast will cost around £40 for a tank full.

Neither of us particularly fancy a smart meter, but we need one to get the low overnight EV charging rates.

Our nearest 75kW charger costs 75p per kWh

Super charging really needs to be seen as journey specific range extension. 175-200 miles in 15 mins. Normal charging should be via an overnight specific rate or better solar trickle.

Heard on the radio the other day some person complaining that she had to wait nearly 3 hours at Exeter services to charge on the way to holiday in Cornwall. Anybody who thinks the leccy infrastructure is going to be anywhere near ready for EVs and electric only heating by the time the bans come in is sadly deluded.

I charge my hybrid at home. Recently switched to a BG tarif which gives me 9.7p overnight. When I checked, the Octopus rate was the same but some people may be on better fixed rates. We've also now worked out how to time delay the dishwasher, washing machine and tumble dryer.

The BG day rate is about 0.3p different to the old rate - which was a surprise. Switching took 10 minutes online.

Sponsored Links
Back