Public Car Chargers

Regardless of whether or not EVs are the future, it makes me laugh when things that are obviously a negative (most of the time) are promoted as being a positive. No one can deny (unless there are queues) you can drive into a fuel station on fumes and be driving out with a tank full ~5 mins later. However when it comes to 'refueling' an EV when out and about (not at home) the process is promoted thus ...

Put your EV on charge and go grab a coffee and maybe a bite to eat

Granted there are times when you might be quite happy to do that, however not in all scenarios. Not really the same but it's a bit like promoting the use of public transport over using a car. Yes there are times when public transport is the better option, however in many scenarios it isn't.

The public isn't daft when it comes to these things. Ok, it's maybe inevitable that over the coming decades personal vehicle ownership might drop and/or become ever more expensive in the drive (pardon the pun) to save the planet, however don't try and fool us that, from a convenience point of view, it's better because it isn't.

Sponsored Links
I’m surprised pre-charged swapping power packs haven’t been explored. Maybe it’s the risk of fraud/theft.

Most people with EVs fill up at home. It’s only long journeys that you need a top up.

It’s similar to the argument of having an SUV for the 3 times a year you go camping/caravanning

however don't try and fool us that, from a convenience point of view, it's better because it isn't.
Has anyone actually claimed that it is more convenient to charge an EV than to fill up with fuel?

Perhaps we need a battery where we could drain out the exhausted electrolyte and refill with new electrolyte containing lots of charge?

Sponsored Links
Are cross channel companies offering a re-charge during the journey yet?

If they are, there's probably a huge premium attached, rather like the cost of WiFi on ferries ...... :eek:

Has anyone actually claimed that it is more convenient to charge an EV than to fill up with fuel?
Didn't he say something about grabbing a cup of coffee and a bite to eat while you wait as a promotion.

It should seem obvious, in your case I can see why it wouldn't.
Grabbing a coffee and waiting isn't as easy/convenient than filling up and moving on, is it?

Grabbing a coffee and waiting isn't as easy/convenient than filling up and moving on, is it?
You've grasped that have you as most people will do, doesn't stop salesman promoting their product as the best thing since sliced bread.

You've grasped that have you as most people will do, doesn't stop salesman promoting their product as the best thing since sliced bread.
I've never heard it claimed that charging an EV is more convenient than filling up with fuel.

I'm sure there's more than myself who would agree with that statement.

Sponsored Links
Back