Pull up to the bumper. Not by Grace Jones

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was driving home this evening and the driver of the car behind me, pulled up so close behind me it was rude!

Then he did it again, and again. In fact the whole duration he was behind me he kept doing it. Now this wasn't an aggressive gesture, there hadn't been any road rage, just this doddery old coffin dodger was... well, crap really!

Anyhoo, got me wondering about the legal aspects, if I had rolled back slightly into his car? Whose fault? mine? well yes, but no... He was unreasonably close, but is there a legal definition for 'too close'? Being an honest chap I would probably admit to rolling back, but if I was clever about it, I should say nuffin and it would be more plausible if the driver behind had driven into the vehicle in front...

Any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
The day after I past my test, my mum let me drive her car to the town centre on the condition I took my brother with me. Glad I did, as in the traffic queue to get in I had a doddery old Penfold-lookalike bump me a couple of times. Each time I got out, had a look at the back bumper (undamaged), shook my head and got back in. I don't think he intended (or noticed) it either, but he shouldn't have been on the roads. If there had been damage, and no bro to vouch for me then I would never have been allowed to take the car again.

Luckily, if your dodderer was REALLY close, then gently rolling back a few inches into him probably wouldn't have caused much damage if any. A loud crunch on a modern bumper quite often doesn't even yield a scratch, the crunch is the sound of the bumper absorbing the impact.

Perhaps if this happens in future, stick it in reverse when stopped. The lights might make them think twice, and if they come out to complain just fob them off with "Oh, sorry, it's an automatic and they come on as I put it into "park", I must have not moved the selector far enough."

I was waiting for my turn in the queue for a busy roundabout, during my reverse-gear troubles. I sat there absent mindedly selecting each gear in turn, including reverse. Looked in my mirror and noticed the cars behind me were backing up! Poor woman behind me saw the lights and assumed I wanted to reverse! :LOL:

I had a disco go into the back of me with a fantastic crunch!

He denied hitting me, his wife and 13 yo daughter both told me to do something rude (G F Y!) and drove off without giving details. I got his index and rang GMP. They told me I could only act against him if there was damage to the car. I had it serviced the next day and the main dealer went over it with a magnifying glass and couldn't find anything.

But isn't that wrong? The guy who drove off had no idea whether any damage had been caused or not (therefore did not know if he was obliged to swap details), so why does he get away with driving off?

securespark said:
I had a disco go into the back of me with a fantastic crunch!

He denied hitting me, his wife and 13 yo daughter both told me to do something rude (G F Y!) and drove off without giving details. I got his index and rang GMP. They told me I could only act against him if there was damage to the car. I had it serviced the next day and the main dealer went over it with a magnifying glass and couldn't find anything.

But isn't that wrong? The guy who drove off had no idea whether any damage had been caused or not (therefore did not know if he was obliged to swap details), so why does he get away with driving off?
Because, no harm done, now go away you silly man and let us catch people driving 34 mph in a 30 zone... miles from anything at 5 in the morning in good visibility and good driving conditions...

If he had done it to a plain clothes policeman in an unmarked police car, would he get away with it?

Sponsored Links
I can't stand people like that. Either he didn't have insurance, or (more likely) he didn't want to lose his NCB so decided you would have to pay for his stupidity. Has happened to my sister, also a 4x4. And a mate at work is currently going through bother after someone hit and ran his car (a Lexus that he loves and has only had a few weeks). His brother (behind him) chased the offending car and the car with it, cornered them in a cul de sac. They were very obliging and said "Sorry about that, if you let us turn round, we'll head back and exchange details."

Can you guess what they did? Turns out the cars are uninsured. A very good reason to make sure you sort out V5 documents when selling a car, someone like that might be buying it and if such things happen, YOU are liable for repaying the insurance company if you can't prove who it really was.

A friend of mine is a car dealer, this young couple with broken english wanted to know if the bank cheque is acceptable to buy the car they're interested in. Couple of days later they arrived with the cheque from the DHSS, they drove off without licence, tax & insurance. I give up.

My mum's friend has a head on crash at the traffic light junction last year and wrote the car off. Wasn't her fault but lost out because they didn't have insurance and couldn't speak english. The police could do nothing about it, human right ain't it :evil:

When they come over in this country do they not have to have UK driving licence ????

I was hit by a brand new Audi A8 some years ago, the guy who hit me was very keen to be on his way.

1) becuase I suspect he'd had a dram or five
2) becuase it turned out the car wasn't his, and he wasn't insured.

When I pressed him about paying for the repairs, he bleated that he had to pay for the Audi's repairs, and he'd nearly lost his job over the matter. As you can imaging I empathised with his dilemma (NOT) anyhow grumblings about involving the old bill, extracted a cheque from him tout suite. :)

masona said:
they drove off without licence, tax & insurance. I give up.

Well, it will hopefully sort itself out. When your mate sold them the car, they will have had to give him an address to sort out the V5. The DVLA will send them a letter saying "either tax it or register it off-road. Then they will find out they need insurance to tax it. Then they will find to get insurance they need a licence.

Either that or they won't give a monkey's and drive it anyway, pleading that their old country is politically unjust if they get stopped. :mad:

Best way to play the close follower at a series of traffic lights, at the red light pull up six or seven feet before the stop line. When follower stops, move forward couple of feet ... usually they give up after the 3rd false start .. even white van man, who is juggling the need to drive over you with the desire to talk on the non-hands free mobile ....
Defensive driving ... leave yourself room to play with !
You can even get a rolling start over the racer in the next lane if you time it correctly on the amber ! :D

I try not to let it worry me too much... :D
091_900.jpg

But I find the publics never ending stupidity irritating sometimes!

Yeah, I got one of them attached to (GVW) of 3500 Kgs, beware !! My wife inadvertently reversed into a Ford Focus a few months back, fortunately it was settled knock for knock, Ford Focus approx £2000.00 of repairs, mine....... well I'm still looking :)

My missus got one on her Xantia. I had one on my old Monty, but 2 cars later have forgotten what it's like. Keep knocking my shins on it. F*ckin' OUCH!!!!!!!!

But they are great for the purpose you describe. Might get one fitted to the Skoda for old time's sake. Any idea what they are these days?

securespark said:
Any idea what they are these days?

Yes, they are generally a ball-shaped piece of metal attached to a bracket, similar to a coat hook but sturdier. Used for towing things... ;)

But has your towing bracket got the regulation tennis ball on it ..... classy!

Sponsored Links
Back