Pulling Main Fuse E-Petition

Sponsored Links
Who's going to end up in the brown stuff when a sparks pulls a cutout, something goes wrong and he dies? I can see where the petition is coming from, but it's really completely unworkable to allow every sparks to remove cutout fuses.

I'm sure the DNOs will happily train guys (at a cost) and ensure they receive refresher training (at a cost).

Of course the cost of the safety gear will no be cheap either (nomex coveralls, full face visors 1kV insulated gloves

Oh and if caught not wearing them risk having permission to pull the fuse withdrawn

Who's going to end up in the brown stuff when a sparks pulls a cutout, something goes wrong and he dies? I can see where the petition is coming from, but it's really completely unworkable to allow every sparks to remove cutout fuses.

Same situation when a quick course meter fixer screws it up I imagine (which I have heard of happening)

Sponsored Links
I have seen many a main fuse be pulled by the DNO and bar the odd one or two the majority of them never wear PPE when pulling.
They just ensure there is no loads being pulled on the installation but cutting the main switch in the CU.

Even when the fuse is pulled I have seen loads of them just use insulated drivers to ensure the supply bottom terminal is tight once the fuse is removed.

I think in the SEE area sparks that belong to a Part P scheme are allowed to pull when trained and they have to inform them to re-seal.

I have seen many a main fuse be pulled by the DNO and bar the odd one or two the majority of them never wear PPE when pulling

If they choose to ignore safety rules and it goes wrong, on their own heads be it!

Even when the fuse is pulled I have seen loads of them just use insulated drivers to ensure the supply bottom terminal is tight once the fuse is removed.

as above but we are all trained and authorised in writing to do such things

Not necessarily - the buck can stop at the directors for H&S violations.

Agreed as they have a duty to enforce the rules which is done via audits, refreshers and annual competency tests.
It still doesn't stop someone losing his/her job though which has happened

Agreed as they have a duty to enforce the rules which is done via audits, refreshers and annual competency tests.
It still doesn't stop someone losing his/her job though which has happened
Indeed not - what I meant was that sacking the numpty (or what's left of him) might not leave the directors free and clear.

Pity he's linked the two points - pulling fuse and fitting isolating switch.
First is asking for an accident Second is good (but what happens if 10,000 ask for the switch next week?).
The petition needs more thought and properly writing out.

The petition needs more thought and properly writing out.
Very much so, in particular the question of which legislation the petition is asking to be revised (or introduced). Even if one felt that the fuse pulling was a good idea, is there actually any currently legislation which explicitly outlaws this? (and, if not, what on earth is the petition asking government to do?) As for a requirement for fitting isolators, I'm not at all sure what current legislation that could logically be added to, so it might actually require new legislation. As you say, the petition has not been properly thought about.

Kind Regards, John

the question of which legislation the petition is asking to be revised

The nearest could be the EAW regulations or the HASAW act where it talks about adequate training. Or where live contacts are exposed with no local means of isolation.

Bottom line is that the main fuse is the property of the DNO and it is their right to decide who does or does not operate on it! I suppose that it could be legislated that the cut-out becomes the customer's property, that would be good for the DNOs as it could mean we can charge for replacing them if they become faulty.

At the end of the day there actually is a fair chance that when the huge push to fit smart meters starts isolators may be part of the package

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back