Demand EU referendum

I know Australia isn't in the EU, but I like Prime Minister Julia Gillard of Australia's sentiments and wish we could adopt them. I think this woman is saying what a lot of people think.

Australia says NO - Second time she has done this!

Quote:
'IMMIGRANTS, NOT AUSTRALIANS, MUST ADAPT. Take It Or Leave It.
I am tired of this nation worrying about whether we are offending some individual or their culture. Since the terrorist attacks on Bali , we have experienced a surge in patriotism by the majority of Australians. '

'This culture has been developed over two centuries of struggles, trials and victories by millions of men and women who have sought freedom'

'We speak mainly ENGLISH, not Spanish, Lebanese, Arabic, Chinese, Japanese, Russian, or any other language. Therefore, if you wish to become part of our society. Learn the language!'

'Most Australians believe in God. This is not some Christian, right wing, political push, but a fact, because Christian men and women, on Christian principles, founded this nation, and this is clearly documented. It is certainly appropriate to display it on the walls of our schools. If God offends you, then I suggest you consider another part of the world as your new home, because God is part of our culture.'

'We will accept your beliefs, and will not question why. All we ask is that you accept ours, and live in harmony and peaceful enjoyment with us.'

'This is OUR COUNTRY, OUR LAND, and OUR LIFESTYLE, and we will allow you every opportunity to enjoy all this. But once you are done complaining, whining, and griping about Our Flag, Our Pledge, Our Christian beliefs, or Our Way of Life, I highly encourage you take advantage of one other great Australian freedom, 'THE RIGHT TO LEAVE'.'

'If you aren't happy here then LEAVE. We didn't force you to come here. You asked to be here. So accept the country YOU accepted.'

Sponsored Links
Of course if it were in her political interests to say the complete opposite, she'd be saying the complete opposite. :rolleyes:

She's trying to take the centre right position normally occupied by the Lib/Country Party.

It's just a game.

I know Australia isn't in the EU

It isn't, but it raises the issue of Britain's trade with non-EU countries. Under the EU dictatorship, we are no longer free to negotiate whatever trade deals we wish with Commonwealth countries such as Australia, New Zealand, and Canada, or of course with non-Commonwealth countries such as the U.S.A. It might be entirely to our benefit to agree to a no-tax arrangement for the exchange of certain goods with these countries, but the EU will intervene and insist that we follow the "common tariff" taxes laid down by the EU because those are the EU rules.

As far as trade is concerned, the EU still tries to wrap everything up in language which suggests that it's all about helping free trade, but the reality is that the EU seeks to create an ever-stricter regime where trade with countries outside its borders is highly taxed to the EU's benefit, not necessarily the individual country's benefit, and where trade within the EU is highly regulated by the plethora of EU regulations and directives. And those directives are applied not only to goods intended for sale to other EU members, but also to goods manufactured, sold, and used entirely within the U.K. (or other country).

The EU touts free trade, while in fact doing everything it can to regulate, restrict, and tax trade at every opportunity.

I know Australia isn't in the EU, but I like Prime Minister Julia Gillard of Australia's sentiments and wish we could adopt them. I think this woman is saying what a lot of people think.

Quote:
I am tired of this nation worrying about whether we are offending some individual or their culture.

Pretty damn rich, don't you think from a descendant of immigrants who treated the indigenous people as an underclass, terrorised and enslaved them.

Sponsored Links

Quote:
I am tired of this nation worrying about whether we are offending some individual or their culture.

Pretty damn rich, don't you think from a descendant of immigrants who treated the indigenous people as an underclass, terrorised and enslaved them.
Whereas of course, during the expansion and development of the British Empire, the UK never got involved in any of these shenanegans :confused:

I think it's reasonable to say that all the European colonial powers were guilty of such shenanegans

I think it's reasonable to say that all the European colonial powers were guilty of such shenanegans
Therefore, although your earlier observation is valid, surely it is better to look to the future.

How do you mean? To ignore our past and build our future on hypocrisy?

You're probably right, but I always used to teach, in business, to know where you can get to, where you want to go and how to get there, you must first know where you are now and where you've been.

Quote:

Bit like the Romans,Normans,Carribeans and Americans then?

As far as I know the Aussies are the only country to commit total genocide when they wiped out the Tasmanian Aborigine. If they didn't like the way the aborigine lived - they could have always left. :LOL:

As far as I know the Aussies are the only country to commit total genocide when they wiped out the Tasmanian Aborigine. If they didn't like the way the aborigine lived - they could have always left. :LOL:

The British and their slaves wiped out the whole of the Carib Indian peoples...every single one.

The British and their slaves wiped out the whole of the Carib Indian peoples...every single one.

The Spanish to, wiped out the Aztecs, not just by weapons, but also by introducing diseases they had no natural immunity to.
Thing is, we can't go back and change the past ever. So there's no use harking on about what colonial Britain, Portugal, Spain etc did hundreds of years ago (although there are people who keep bringing up the past as though it could be changed) Blaid and Brown apologised for the slave trade etc,,, well let me be the first to apologize for Homo Sapiens wiping out Neanderthal man. Is that good enough???

well let me be the first to apologize for Homo Sapiens wiping out Neanderthal man. Is that good enough???
There's no need to apologise, since there are obviously a few of the species left; they post on here at times ;) :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Back