Purchased Dewalt from the USA - messed up?

Was the price around $279 - so around £205 - around £350 in UK FFX with a 6A flex volt battery, although with a T-Stak case rather than a bag
so even with a charger and paying VAT on £205 = £240 + £40 for a charge, still a good saving

Sponsored Links
Was the price around $279 - so around £205 - around £350 in UK FFX with a 6A flex volt battery, although with a T-Stak case rather than a bag
so even with a charger and paying VAT on £205 = £240 + £40 for a charge, still a good saving

Thanks, sense check makes me feel a little happier....! So, no fixed release date yet in the UK; apparently Dewalt keep pushing it out. I paid £190, but with all fees £250. I don't use the T-Stack. So still reasonably pleased (although I doubt any warranty will not be honored, but never had need to call on it yet - touch wood!).

Perhaps I can sell the charger? Don't expect much for it though.

But which charger do I buy? The DCB116 is 6amp/hr, but for a couple of pounds I could 'upgrade' to the DCB118, which is 8amp/hr. Will both charge my current XR5amp batteries?

Cheers

Last edited:
Thanks, sense check makes me feel a little happier....! So, no fixed release date yet in the UK; apparently Dewalt keep pushing it out. I paid £190, but with all fees £250. I don't use the T-Stack. So still reasonably pleased (although I doubt any warranty will not be honored, but never had need to call on it yet - touch wood!).

Perhaps I can sell the charger? Don't expect much for it though.

But which charger do I buy? The DCB is 6amp/hr, but for a couple of pounds I could 'upgrade' to the DCB118, which is 8amp/hr. Will both charge my current XR5amp batteries?

Cheers

As long as its compatible and the price differential is acceptable, then go for the DCB118

The charger may well be dual voltage I.e. 120v (60hz) / 230v (50Hz) but that's got nothing to do with 110v often used on building sites, as the 110v is centre tapped +/- 55v and isn't the same as 120v 60hz.
Maybe so, Eddie, but manufacturers have a tendency to use US spec parts in UK 110 volt kit. In my experience a lot of 115/120 volt 60Hz USA kit will happily work on 110 volt 50Hz UK site supply - but not all

I find it tends to be the stuff with a lot of electronics in it which is flakiest. I currently have both Hitachi and Makita chargers as well as Milwaukee power tools sourced in the USA

Sponsored Links
Maybe so, Eddie, but manufacturers have a tendency to use US spec parts in UK 110 volt kit. In my experience a lot of 115/120 volt 60Hz USA kit will happily work on 110 volt 50Hz UK site supply - but not all

I can see that working on simple tools, motor winding dependant maybe. What I wouldn't hold much hope out of is powering a USA (North American) only spec battery charger from a site transformer.

Last edited:
yep, some dewalt tools seem to have gone up a lot , I paid £399 in 2019 , and now its £574 a 44% increase !!!!! for a DWS778 Mitre Saw

I can see that working on simple tools, motor winding dependant maybe. What I wouldn't hold much hope out of is powering a USA (North American) only spec battery charger from a site transformer.
Well, my two USA-sourced Hitachi chargers do work on site 110volt supply. Can't say if that is atypical, though

Is UK 20% VAT also applicable ?

Yeah, you pay import duties plus VAT on purchases over

That said, if I am looking at the correct commodity code, there are now import duties for drills

https://www.trade-tariff.service.gov.uk/commodities/8207503000

IIRC you pay based on the value of the item PLUS the shipping costs.

Back in the days when I had an online store if I sold a (for example) a potato (which is VAT rate 0%) and sent it via Royal Mail there was no VAT on the postage. If I sent a potato and something rated at 20%, such as postage stamp sized sticker costing one pence, I had to charge VAT on the whole postage.

Just to 'sort of' conclude this, I did not receive the drill as it was stopped from leaving the US because, I think, the battery in the kit! Ebay refunded automatically.

Cheers!

shame, I had a similar issue but with zipo lighters, which at one time could be posted , but they th epost office changed the rules and they crushed them!!!

shame, I had a similar issue but with zipo lighters, which at one time could be posted , but they th epost office changed the rules and they crushed them!!!

Even though the lighter is shipped with no fuel in it?

Just to 'sort of' conclude this, I did not receive the drill as it was stopped from leaving the US because, I think, the battery in the kit! Ebay refunded automatically.

Cheers!
you could go for something like this with 10ah capacity over the 6ah you had chosen
https://www.ffx.co.uk/product/Get/D...2-X-5.0Ah-Xr-Li-Ion-Brushless-Combi-Drill-Kit
if you are not planning on buying 54v tools for your kit you are over paying quite a lot per ah as 10 at 18v is cheaper than 6ah flexivolt

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back