Pushfit and plumber problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The following install is the work of a professional plumber before anyone takes the **** would anyone have any idea of the best options to fix?

Clearly the pipes are strained which is causing them to leak, but also I'm not 100% sure, but the copper pipe may actually be imperial. In any case the pipes are leaking when the heating is on and its ruined my ceiling (4th time now).

If any surrey based plumbers would be interested in a proper fix, I'm definitely up for it and there is good access from above. Thanks in advance for suggestions.

26169954028_b637dac2c0_b.jpg

39144674025_b7f4b3b216_b.jpg

Sponsored Links
Conex tees and stainless steel liners. If the 22mm is actually 3/4 then use imperial olives. It looks as if the right hand plastic may be pulling the copper across therefore out of alignment so you could put a couple of male/female elbows in to better line things up.

Yup, +1. Cut the copper back and add a new piece in to ensure the pipe lines up with the hole, use brass compression reducing tee's with imperial olives where needed for the copper with a wrap of gas PTFE for belt 'n' braces.

I'd sack your electrician too for running those cables like that if they are close or touching the pipework. Should be down and away from it.

Sponsored Links
You dont need paste either but I always put some on. Many folk put a bit of tape around the olive instead of paste. It all helps, particularly if the surface is a bit scored by the teeth of the pushfit.

You don't need PTFE tape on compression joints.

If you've ever used an imperial to metric olive, in a metric fitting on an imperial pipe .... believe me you'll more often than not need a little tape to stop it weeping. That or if you break and re-make an old fitting, a wrap of tape will save you a call back when an olive doesn't seal properly.

That fitting in your link is a push fit ,not a compression fitting. You got the wrong one mate .

shopping

These would be the ones I would presume that @Daveydub would be referring to, that being said a standard compression reducing tee would also work, with standard plastic insert , plastic pipe type dependent.

Sorry I'm being thick. I'm assuming my main copper pipe is either 22mm or 3/4" and my plastic pipe is 22mm - I'm wondering if there is an optical illusion in my photo. Otherwise I don't get why I need reducing T?

or is 22mm plastic pipe not 22mm?

Pics of pipes can be deceiving ,but all your pipes look the same size to me and the "T" s ,look like equals ,not reducing .

Yup, was just the way I was looking at it, if the white plastic is 22mm and the copper is 22mm or 3/4" then an equal tee with 2 3/4"x 22mm olives for the copper if it's imperial. You will know if the copper is imperial if the olives that come with the 22mm tee are loose when slid on.

Better to try the 3/4 olives on the copper ,if its 22 mm tube a 3/4 olive will not go on to the tube. 22 mm olives on 22 mm tube are loose fitting at the best of times .

got it - I'm on the same page now. such a ball ache.. I've redone the ceiling 4 times (in under 2 years) as a result of the ****** who did the work. I can probably cut back and get a bit of an S bend in the new pipe to address the stretching.

I'm just not experienced with plastic pipe, so didn't know I could use a compression fitting.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back