Pushfit and plumber problems

Sponsored Links
screwfix, toolstation

bit of 22mm copper pipe ( might already have that)
straight 22mm compressions *4
3/4 olives x 4
22mm T x 2
ptfe tape (got that too)

I have bending springs and a pipe former... somewhere..
Is that it?

What is the best way to get the lego lock fittings off. Attack them with a screw driver or do they unscrew ? i’d rather not cut the plastic pipe any shorter

pretty sure they they unscrew try that first;)

Sponsored Links
What is the best way to get the lego lock fittings off. Attack them with a screw driver or do they unscrew ? i’d rather not cut the plastic pipe any shorter

The pushfit fittings look like Polyplumb, the caps will unscrew then pull the pipe out of the fitting.

You will probably end up with the “O” ring, spacer washer and the metal grab ring on the pipe, the cap, “O” ring and spacer will all slide off, the grab ring is designed to bite into the pipe, so will need to be eased off, if reusing the plastic pipe take care not to damage it.

You can cut the grab rings with a pair of wire cutters which will simplify removal.
2 x stainless steel liners
Don't think you will need 4 x compression sockets but you can always take them back.
2 x stem elbow (s/fix 20071)

These older style (?Hep) fittings are not readily demountable.

You can unscrew and pull apart and then cut the grab ring but there's a risk that the plastic pipe has been scored by the ring.

Safer, IMO, to cut the plastics in the adjacent joist run and run new short sections of 15mm to the the Tees.

I had a similar job done by a plumber recently, also with imperial copper pipe. Not sure if Polyplumb fittings are designed for imperial pipe without a special fitting/accessory (?).

The job seemed pretty straightforward, but there was literally no play in the copper, so getting the compression tee on was a nightmare. In the end, he cut the copper back, and used a slip coupling to help get it on. Just thought I'd pass that on in case you have the same problem.

You can cut the grab rings with a pair of wire cutters which will simplify removal.
2 x stainless steel liners
Don't think you will need 4 x compression sockets but you can always take them back.
2 x stem elbow (s/fix 20071)

the liners go inside the plastic pipe to stop the compression fitting crushing it?

I have to use push fit? I can't use a compression fitting?

why do I need an elbow? 20071?

I'm cutting back each pipe to the soldered straight each side. I'm putting a new section each side with an S bend to match the short polly pip location connected to old with a 22mm standard compression with 3/4" olives if necessary. I'm then using the standard T (22mm on the new copper and old poly with insert in the poly.

Last edited:
No, use compression but if you use any pushfit fittings such as the 2 stem elbows I mentioned, you do need a liner in the pipe when you push it into the fitting.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back