Putting boards up on a ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have just taken some old polystyrene tiles off my kitchen ceiling.

I want to end up with a nice smooth white finish.

The trouble is that there is hard adhesive left which was holding the tiles on and I will have to chisel it off. To get the ceiling ready for painting will take quite a while I think so i would like to just put boards up instead.

Do i just use plaster board or is there something better?

I guess finding the joists will be difficult. Should I just hammer nails into the ceiling till i hit resistence to find them?

Any tips appreciated.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
if it is possible to lift an upstairs carpet, then this may give you an idea where the joists are and their spacings.

we smartly tap a hammer through the old plasterboard roughly just each side of the joist local to the bearing walls. if you tap your hammer along the ceiling you may be able to hear the pitch of the tapping change as you hit solid wood.

once you have located the joists you can mark the ceiling with a straight edge and proceed to fix the boards using minimum 50mm screws or nails.

don't forget to stagger the joints. bound edges of the plasterboard go at right angles to the joists.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back