Putting down lvt

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Based on prior diy experience of furniture self-assembly only, I have set myself on an ambitious project of laying amtico click smart lvt throughout the house except bathrooms and kitchen although might bring someone in to do the stairs.

I’ve read up forum posts on the topic and my plan is:
1) lay 9mm plywood on top of current floorboards
Q) whilst bigger is better, considering it will be myself who is doing it, is it ok if I get plywood in size 0.6m x 1.2m (there are some websites offering plywood cut to size)?

2) install underlay meant for lvt flooring to help with evenness (although the tiles also include a thin underlay)

3) lay flooring. I’m not planning to replace any skirting boards,rather I’ll just use the skirting accessories online to give space for expansion

I’ll start with bedrooms and then tackle the concrete in the extension of the house last. All the flooring except the concrete section looks like the attached images (there are some chips to the floorboards and some minor places where wood has risen but I’m just planning to use plywood to smooth it out). Any suggestions / caution before I start would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Attachments

• E01175E5-671C-4377-BC50-FCA3E2715409.jpeg
    E01175E5-671C-4377-BC50-FCA3E2715409.jpeg
    295.8 KB · Views: 310
  • 0956D2F9-7103-47CF-938A-C5C969C6CEF0.jpeg
    0956D2F9-7103-47CF-938A-C5C969C6CEF0.jpeg
    281.6 KB · Views: 311
Sponsored Links
I tend to overclad with the biggest sizes I can in order to reduce the number of joints. Gives a more consistent surface to work to. Screw at approx. 150mm centres starting 25 to 35mm in from the sheet edges and make sure that your screw heads are all sunk under properly

Ok let me try getting standard sizes. Hopefully I can rope someone in to try and lay down the plywood.

Thank you

I've just done my kitchen, hallway and downstairs WC in camaro loc LVT.

Never again, i'll get a pro in.

Issues i've found (Being naive to think this was an easy job)

• Planning out sizing is important, i've probably suffered pain not planning run of tiles under doorways etc, this took a lot of time up
  • Click tiles couldn't be clicked in for certain places at the relevant (Amtico sample looked the same as Polyfor ones)
  • You'll have a lot of waste so over order! Maybe i've wasted more than average but feels like i've fked a lot of tiles up :) Amtico is double the price of mine so i'd be worried!
  • You'll need concave blades, not standard stanley blades
  • I needed a multi tool (door frame work) and pull in bar adding costs
  • Need decent underlay, tiles alone wont cut it I think
  • Need expansion gaps so doing skirting boards would be recommended here.
  • Painting said skirting boards will be challenging :)
  • GET KNEE PADS
Debatable if a pro would want to go through the hassle I've gone through of going straight through from hallway to kitchen but i think i'll be getting a pro in next time!

Sponsored Links
Based on prior diy experience of furniture self-assembly only, I have set myself on an ambitious project of laying amtico click smart lvt throughout the house except bathrooms and kitchen although might bring someone in to do the stairs.

I’ve read up forum posts on the topic and my plan is:
1) lay 9mm plywood on top of current floorboards
Q) whilst bigger is better, considering it will be myself who is doing it, is it ok if I get plywood in size 0.6m x 1.2m (there are some websites offering plywood cut to size)?

2) install underlay meant for lvt flooring to help with evenness (although the tiles also include a thin underlay)

3) lay flooring. I’m not planning to replace any skirting boards,rather I’ll just use the skirting accessories online to give space for expansion

I’ll start with bedrooms and then tackle the concrete in the extension of the house last. All the flooring except the concrete section looks like the attached images (there are some chips to the floorboards and some minor places where wood has risen but I’m just planning to use plywood to smooth it out). Any suggestions / caution before I start would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
No need to ply if floors are flat and fairly level .Good quality Underlay is essential .

Thanks both! @Notadecor8ter i’m now thinking I’ll try with just an underlay and tiles in the smallest room. If that fails I’ll bite the bullet and get a pro in. I was thinking the radiator pipes might be challenging but I’m planning to order a cheap jigsaw so hopefully that’ll help with cutting the tiles too. I’m planning to get a pull in bar.

@foxhole I posted some pictures of the sub floor in my first post so I’ll try with only underlay and tiles for now (the tiles also have a fixed underlay). Any recommendations on what underlay I should go for? Preferably something waterproof I’m thinking.

Can’t think why you would want waterproof underlay ? If it exists.

I was thinking this way any liquid spillages would cause less of an issue for the sub floor (the tiles aren’t recommended for bathrooms / wet areas).

I would recommend a multi tool rather than jigsaw myself. Amazing how quickly the PVC will burn underneath. I also wouldn't recommend Click LVT in wet rooms, mines slippery and it just won't take loads of water I'd say with the click mechanism.

For radiators you drill a hole and cut out the back with a knife.

From what I've learnt, any of this install is not exactly a fine art, I'd definitely measure from the middle of the room first though if its an odd shaped room.

You may be ok with it being basic bedrooms.

Ok let me get a multi tool instead. That would probably help with the sanding to level the subfloor. Thanks!

I won’t do any wet areas. Bathrooms are recently tiled and I intend to get the kitchen refurbished properly. Fingers crossed all goes well!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back