Pyro

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is there some secret masonic code I need to know when asking for someone to come put a pot on a bit of pyro for me?

I've got a 16mm 3c in a flat that needs shortening and thought it wasn't worth buying the tools and doing something I've not touched in 10 years- I'll just get someone else along to do it.

So far I've had 4 different sparks mess me about- no show or agree then not return calls- am I just catastrophically unlucky on this occasion or is this the common standard of my brethren sparkies? I'm seriously thinking I should put my rates up...

oh, and it anyone can put a pot on this flippin cable for me in the near future in central london, lettuce know.

Sponsored Links
To save yourself a load of aggro, can't you "lose" the slack anywhere?

You need to be looking for a commercial sparks who is a bit long in the tooth ;)

Are you sure it is metric pyro? If it is imperial, you will probably not be able to get a new pot seal, which might be the reason for some sparks not getting involved.

Unfortunatly, it is a bit of an old art form these days, and many younger sparks and DIs do not have the knowledge or skill to work with it.

If you were a bit further north, I'd pop round and sort it for you :LOL:

To save yourself a load of aggro, can't you "lose" the slack anywhere?

Not possible. '30's mansion block of weird, mostly concrete & hollow block construction. Easy option would be to replace it with SWA but that'd mean going through communal service hall (not a prob itself, but would have to liase with/inform the porters & building admin who in turn would inevitably want to bring on board the horror that is EDF.)

Sponsored Links
You need to be looking for a commercial sparks who is a bit long in the tooth ;)

Are you sure it is metric pyro? If it is imperial, you will probably not be able to get a new pot seal, which might be the reason for some sparks not getting involved.

Unfortunatly, it is a bit of an old art form these days, and many younger sparks and DIs do not have the knowledge or skill to work with it.

If you were a bit further north, I'd pop round and sort it for you :LOL:

def. metric, was retro fitted not so long ago.

The council/LA housing still use it a fair bit for submain work round here so there are sparks that are tooled up to do it, I asked at my wholesalers for some numbers of such folk and have had nothing but brainache.

If you don't want to "purchase tools" why not do it the old way with cutters and "sardine key" made out of a bit of steel rod or stud? With skill you can screw a pot on with grips, its how it was done before strippers etc came out.

I tried to get a 16mm pot recently ,they are like gold dust.
Most wholesalers do not have them on there system now.

I tried to get a 16mm pot recently ,they are like gold dust.
Most wholesalers do not have them on there system now.

Hi, try a place called Massgrove electrical wholesaler's at 13 Brent st, Hendon NW London. Their place was there before the ark & has got me out of trouble a few times. They even have the old original wooden ceiling blocks for light fittings if you need them.(Original) Phone NO: 02082020005 & ask for Paul or Raj.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back