Qatar world cup

On May 19, Human Rights Watch, Amnesty International, FairSquare, and a global coalition of migrant rights groups, labor unions, international football fans, abuse survivors, and business and rights groups said that the Fédération Internationale de Football Association (FIFA) and the government of Qatar should provide remedy for serious abuses that migrant workers have suffered since the 2022 World Cup was awarded in 2010. These include thousands of unexplained deaths and injuries, wage theft, and exorbitant recruitment fees. Human Rights Watch has opened a global campaign, #PayUpFIFA, to support this coalition call. Amnesty International is releasing a report, “Predictable and Preventable,” setting out how FIFA and Qatar can remedy 12 years of abuses. And they are not all farmers

Sponsored Links

On May 19, Human Rights Watch, Amnesty International, FairSquare, and a global coalition of migrant rights groups, labor unions, international football fans, abuse survivors, and business and rights groups said that the Fédération Internationale de Football Association (FIFA) and the government of Qatar should provide remedy for serious abuses that migrant workers have suffered since the 2022 World Cup was awarded in 2010. These include thousands of unexplained deaths and injuries, wage theft, and exorbitant recruitment fees. Human Rights Watch has opened a global campaign, #PayUpFIFA, to support this coalition call. Amnesty International is releasing a report, “Predictable and Preventable,” setting out how FIFA and Qatar can remedy 12 years of abuses. And they are not all farmers

I ask that you all Watch this short video.. this is wrong and I don't get why so many are being so quiet about it...

And over 6500 farmers / construction workers have died just to serve the rich.
But they are 3rd world peasants so who cares..... you and Notch don't..... that's clear
Nonsense.

It's all very noble of you to bring this to the forum's attention, but you are pi$$ing up the wrong tree if you are trying to attach it to football and knee bending. The football stadium workers are treated well, as said in your own article.

Nonsense.

It's all very noble of you to bring this to the forum's attention, but you are pi$$ing up the wrong tree if you are trying to attach it to football and knee bending. The football stadium workers are treated well, as said in your own article.

Then what has football got to do with anything happening in America .

Sponsored Links
Very Nobel indeed

This your paper and not my words

There isn’t much point in dressing this up now. Football is two years away from a tournament that is, among other things, a showcase for the glorious productivity of the Kafala system of labour. These working practices have been called a form of modern-day slavery by the International Trade Union Confederation, in conditions across the region that are at times “little more than prisons for workers” according to Amnesty International.

Migrant workers went unpaid by a private Qatari company for up to seven months while building Al Bayt Stadium.
Migrant workers went unpaid by a private Qatari company for up to seven months while building Al Bayt Stadium. Photograph: Adam Davy/PA Images
Those gleaming, splendiferous World Cup venues, those repositories of sound and light, are also tributes to the efficiency of a bonded labour force of Bangladeshis, Nepalese, Indians and other migrant people employed to implement this vast global projection of power. Official figures suggest otherwise, but a counter-commentary of those who monitor the situation suggests there have been thousands of deaths (pdf) along the way. Should we be sitting in these arenas watching football? Or tipping them into the harbour?

It is worth noting Qatar introduced laws last year to diminish and, it is claimed, abolish the Kafala system, under which foreign workers are essentially tied to their employer, unable to seek another job in the country and often too dependent to leave. These new laws have been described as superficial. Only this week Amnesty revealed migrant workers had gone unpaid by a private Qatari company for up to seven months while building Al Bayt Stadium, unable to leave the job, unable to leave the country.

Football speaks fine words while preparing to bask in these glorious migrant-built structures, disposable monuments to a four-week show of power
This is not intended as a piece of whataboutery or a comparison with the scars and the significance of actual, forced, seagoing, murderous European slavery. This is not some ghastly race to find the greater horror. It is simply to point to the oddity of football’s apparent powerlessnesses as it asks itself what it can possibly do about oppression and prejudice as it speaks fine words – cheers, Gianni – about the imbalance of power. All the while preparing to shoot off en masse and bask in these glorious migrant-built structures, disposable monuments to a four-week show of power.

What am I expecting to happen here? Instant cultural reforms? Everyone shakes hands and joins the TUC? Ruling elites to issue a tearful Instagram apology (“this has been a powerful personal journey”)? The best outcome is slow reform which, it seems, is already happening.

I guess I am simply agreeing with Sterling when he says there are structural issues that need to be torn down, while also pointing out that he, as a footballer, is stuck right in the middle of this, a passenger in football’s own exploitative networks.

As for those boarded-up statues, they are at least doing their job. They’re making us think about the past and also the present. Welcome, britches-clad men of destiny, welcome splendid new lighted bowls of Fifa, to the idea of the unintended signifier. We will look on you and marvel. Just not, perhaps, in the way you had in mind.

Nonsense.

What I believe or do not believe
Your ignoring the facts.

Then what has football got to do with anything happening in America .
You mean why are footballers united against racism that has been ever present in our football leagues for decades? Perhaps they think footballer Colin Kaepernick has a point.

What I believe or do not believe
Your ignoring the facts.
Enlighten me?
I understand there are human rights issues in all Middle East nations, Far East and beyond. I also understand that the Qatari WC stadium workers are treated better than others in the country.

You mean why are footballers united against racism that has been ever present in our football leagues for decades? Perhaps they think footballer Colin Kaepernick has a point.

'Kap' has been shamefully treated and almost forgotten since he first took-the-knee (in 2016?)
It's a sad sign of the times such men who're prepared to take a stance on principles are treated so while someone like Trump - who publicly slated him, telling owners to 'get that s-o-b outta here' - gets away with mayhem and murder.

And hasn't the WC in Qatar highlighted those human rights abuses?
Maybe it's not a bad thing to have the tournament in such places to apply pressure on these regimes who prefer to operate in the shadows, away from the media spotlight.

Although nothing really seems to change once the whole circus has packed up and moved on.

Hypocrisy you say........

In the blue corner
I champion the working man, equality and appose human rights abuses and the ingrained racism in the country of Qatar

In the Red corner
Is Notch
who sides with Boris Johnsons Conservative party, a corrupt Fifa, and country's that cares nothing for human life. The multi millionaire footballers however won't extend their protest in anyway past bending up and down. Maybe these people and their families are not important enough. Maybe they are just slightly the wrong shade of black.

I'm not sure who you are Notch but you don't seem to be either left or right. Just a trouble maker. A Russian maybe...
Bodd,

it’s possible to take the knee and be anti racism + be against Qatar human rights

the 2 things are not mutually exclusive.

and just because England footballers are playing at Qatar doesn’t make them supportive of Qatar human rights.

You are using dishonest arguments to justify your twisted dislike of BLM.

How would you possibly know?

I've been to India Bangladesh, Nepal, Indonesia. All country's that are affected.
I love their country's, their cultures and have memory's of the many decent lovely human beings I've met. I've seen how they are treated in country's like Singapore and Hong Kong.
Their governments don't care Fifa don't care, Qatar don't care the FA don't care The Torys don't care the International Footballers don't care. I do care.
You Notch are a fake or a Hypocrite

You have never ever mention Qatar and human rights before….you only suddenly care because you want to use it as a stick to get at people who take the knee.

it’s the same BS argument people use about people arriving here by boats….Tory voters like you suddenly start saying UK should care for its homeless first. When has a Tory voter ever given a fork about the homeless?

I don’t know what motivates you, but ever since George Floyd you’ve been posting endlessly with what seems to be Daily Mail style hatred of foreigners.

I think November. I have very little interest and for the first time in my life I hope England get stuffed . Or I t maybe better if they won as it will always be remembered for the blood money

I never hope England lose a game of football. No matter what.
'Blood money', you say.
How can western governments apply any moral measure against Mid-East or anyone else after the Trump-Johnson years?
How can America criticise China's treatment of Uyghurs after the murder of George Floyd - live streamed from the street - and subsequent protests where the president asked if 'they could just shoot them, or something, maybe in the leg'.
The NG was called out then but mysteriously absent during the Capitol riot, where the president himself didn't appeal for calm til he'd finished his popcorn while watching it all unfold on tv.

This leaves the West open to accusations of hypocrisy and even more abuses by governments around the world.
This is why it matters when our PM is caught out lying and isn't held to account.

If we can't do it, why should they?

Sponsored Links
Back